8 1/4 sure grip questions

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
I've got an 8 1/4 2.94 open diff that I'll be upgrading with a sure grip and either 3.21 or 3.55 gears. My Scamp has a 318 that been bored and stroked to 327 running thru a 904 tranny. Aside from the usual red light race, it won't be taken to the drag strip or driven on the highway much; just a city cruiser taken out on weekends.

1. From the little bit of reading I've done, there are a few different "sure grip" units I could buy (Auburn, Detroit Truetrac, Powertrax, Dana). What is the difference between them and which one should I consider?

2. If you were in my shoes, what gear ratio (3.23 or 3.55) would you put in?

Tks....

i've got the moparperformance 355 geared suregrip unit i like the moparparts seem to fit and work better long as your not doing alot of road trips go with the 355"s strong off the line compared to my old 2 something gears

you can get the center section out of an r/t dakota, most of em have 3.90s and theyll bolt right up, most of em have sure grips too if im not mistaken.

PCDuster makes a good sugestion. Junk yards should have a few Dak's in them.
Gear ratio is stamped on the ring gear or on a tag on the rear cover bolt.

I'd do a 3.55 for the best of both worlds. 3.91's make Hwy. driving a bit of a drag. For a short time....OK. 1/2 max for me kind of thing unless it's to the strip or show/meet.

You can use only certain year Dakota, Jeep, Durango, etc carriers, 8 1/4s from 1997 and up are 29 spline. You need a 1996 and earlier carrier because they are 27 spline like yours.

Chuck

i had a 318, 904, with 3.55 gear very streetable and a good combo. the only difference is i had the low gear planetary set put in my trans. makes the car at take off more like a 3.91 but still the higher gear of a 3.55. just an opinion but works good. for highway and ocassional burnout the8.25 with posi will be just fine. have a good one :salute:

-
Back