8 1/4 to 8 3/4 driveshaft changes

-

duster-z

Reaction score
i have a 72 duster and i originaly had a 8 1/4 rear end out of a 73 dart but it is messed up, so i put a 8 3/4 out of a e-body in it and now i started looking at the drive shaft whe i took the old rear out i just pushed the drive shaft into the tranny and it left about a 3 inch gap and now the new rear is in and the gap looks the same and i pulled the drive shaft into the new rears yoke and it went right into place. are the drive shafts for the 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 the same length. i have to take it to the drive shaft place any ways since the new rear has the bigger yoke i was just wondering if i need to have it shortend or if it will be ok how it is?

No their not the same length but there's not a big diff. Maybe like 3/4" difference. If you had to pull it out 3" too get it in place it's way too short and you need a longer driveshaft. You should only be able to pull it out approx. 3/4"~1" max. With it too short it may work for a while if it's a low power application but it may also vibrate and eventually will fail.

Like fishy68 said, it looks like it needs to be longer, not shorter. Normally, there isn't enough difference between the 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 to need a new driveshaft but it looks to me like your old one wasn't long enough to begin with. Maybe that was some of the vibration problem you had.

i just realised the 2 to 3 inches was with the rear end off the ground and the jackstands underthe frame it was at right aroutnd 1in away with a load on it but one of the new axle plates was bent so now i have to get another one first

-
Back