8.25 carrier wear

-
Charles; Assemble the pinion with motor oil. Install yoke and tighten nut. You can use a 2 or 3 foot pipe wrench over the yoke and put the wrench handle over a leaf spring. Then use a 3/4'' drive set to tighten the nut. [Less springy than 1/2'']. Preload of pinion = 10 INCH pounds using old bearings, 20 - 35 inlb using new bearings. The original pinion bearing cone spacer might be ok to use if the stamped numbers on the end of the pinion gears are close [+1 vs +3 good enough ?]

Charles; Assemble the pinion with motor oil. Install yoke and tighten nut. You can use a 2 or 3 foot pipe wrench over the yoke and put the wrench handle over a leaf spring. Then use a 3/4'' drive set to tighten the nut. [Less springy than 1/2'']. Preload of pinion = 10 INCH pounds using old bearings, 20 - 35 inlb using new bearings. The original pinion bearing cone spacer might be ok to use if the stamped numbers on the end of the pinion gears are close [+1 vs +3 good enough ?]
I coated the bearings with high viscous lubricant, new crush sleeve, torqued the nut to 12 in/lbs for turning torque (old pinion bearings). I made some tools a few years back to do help with this. New bearings on the carrier, preloaded to have 0.007" of play. Didn't have to mess with the shims since pinion bearings weren't touched, wear pattern is where it's supposed to be on the teeth

Here's what I made to hold the pinion, slide a pipe or solid rod into the square tube and let it wedge against the ground.
IMG_20200407_081646.jpg

Nice job of making the right tool. ---- I used a large pipe wrench on mine many years ago. The handle end was on the floor at about a 45 angle. As I increased the torque on the nut, I noticed the jackstands start to tilt. Crawled out, changed my shorts, and put the pipe wrench handle on the spring. It's called having a good day.

-
Back