8.25" rear end upgrade

-

Wayne Miller

1962 Dodge Lancer Wagon
Reaction score
I have a Mopar 8.25" rear end and would like to upgrade the brakes to a Wilwood Kit
#140-11395 with Parking Brake.
The instructions say I have to install an MO400 (Green Bearing with Snap Ring).
All the information I can find on the MO400 Bearing is for an 8.75".
The 8.25" dimensions on the Housing flange are the same as the 8.75". Only difference I see is the 8.75" has 5 holes and the 8.25" has 4. The four holes do lineup on both flanges.
Will the MO400 Bearing work in my 8.25" ?
Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Just for the record. A 8-1/4 rear axle is good for 350hp and is an affordable option from the 8-3/4 rear. Just put one in my 66’ - a lot better than the smaller rear I had in there.

I’d question why rear disks on a car under 500hp? Rears provide only 30% (at best) of the breaking power of the car. They are there to keep the car straight under normal braking. I do admit rear disks look kool thru the rims.

Several reasons
1- Have one
2-It's in good condition
3- Im running a slant six. It should be able to handle the power.

I didn't realize it was behind a slant, yes, this makes good sense.

Just for the record. A 8-1/4 rear axle is good for 350hp and is an affordable option from the 8-3/4 rear. Just put one in my 66’ - a lot better than the smaller rear I had in there.

I’d question why rear disks on a car under 500hp? Rears provide only 30% (at best) of the breaking power of the car. They are there to keep the car straight under normal braking. I do admit rear disks look kool thru the rims.

Simple, better reliability, simplicity, better braking and like you said, better looking

I have had more than 400 hp to that rear end. Very underrated rear.

I am running over 400 on mine. with jeep rear disks, 3:55 and a track lock out of a jeep. Seriously underrated rear if set up right.

Please note: the larger the gear you go ie 3:55 or 3:7 etc.... the easier it is on a 8-1/4”.

But i admit they are a good rear axle. But harder to make a swap at the track than a 8-3/4”. That is the actual appeal of the 8-3/4” rear. Swap out gears in less than an hour at the track. But even that rear has personal preferences- 741, 489, 742. Opinions every where. Pick a route and stay the course.
Good luck.
Joe

Please note: the larger the gear you go ie 3:55 or 3:7 etc.... the easier it is on a 8-1/4”.

But i admit they are a good rear axle. But harder to make a swap at the track than a 8-3/4”. That is the actual appeal of the 8-3/4” rear. Swap out gears in less than an hour at the track. But even that rear has personal preferences- 741, 489, 742. Opinions every where. Pick a route and stay the course.
Good luck.
Joe

I always loved the 8.75 for the gear swap bit. I've swapped gears once each time I've owned one. I've also damaged one. Personally now I like the dana. And they are far cheaper.

you want a gear change for the strip? Buy a GVOD or an OD transmission. I can run my 4.56's down the interstate to the strip and then blast through the traps at an ideal Rpm.

I'd use the jeep rear discs, bolt on, easy and has parking brakes. Cheap too

I always loved the 8.75 for the gear swap bit. I've swapped gears once each time I've owned one. I've also damaged one. Personally now I like the dana. And they are far cheaper.

you want a gear change for the strip? Buy a GVOD or an OD transmission. I can run my 4.56's down the interstate to the strip and then blast through the traps at an ideal Rpm.

When I was swapping gear chucks out- Back in the 80's... there was no overdrive units available then.
Now Everything I own I trailer to the track. LOL! Age = wisdom.

-
Back