8.25 rearend with 245.1 ratio change out question

-

sn1230

Reaction score
is it true that a 8.25 rearend with the 245.1 ratio carrier will only hold this gear setup? i wanted to put 355.1 in it but read that i would have to change the carrier as well.

correct you can find one out of a Jeep or Dakota but watch your spline count

I believe your housing/axles will work, but just pull the carrier/gears out of a Dakota (1995 or older??) so it's 27 spline. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.....

I believe your housing/axles will work, but just pull the carrier/gears out of a Dakota (1995 or older??) so it's 27 spline. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.....
I am pretty sure that is correct. Has to be older than 95 or 97 not quite sure. I picked one up from the wrecking yard for $100.
3.55's with the clutch style SG. Fit / Works like a champ!

Replaced my 2.45 with a 3.55 gear set that came with the sure grip carrier from a 92 Dakota as I recall.

awesome thank you guys i was hoping i couls still use the housing i wasnt sure. i had already wanted to put a suregrip in it anyways. so on to look for a 92 dakota..haha

thats what i was just looking at was the dr diff true lok one pretty sure thats the way im gonna go

Got that for my dakota. Hooks up good, no chattering around corners. Just a good unit

awesome thank you guys for info nice being able to come on here and get exsperienced answers rather then just guessing what i need

-
Back