8.25 rebuild questions

-

frankwest

Reaction score
I purchased a used 8.25 complete, 3.21 sure grip. I have it all down except for the sure grip unit. The Chilton manual says:
"The sure grip differential is serviced as a unit only. Under no circumstances should the unit be disassembled and reinstalled"
I take that is replace the bearings on the outside and leave it at that. Is there any servicable parts inside? I tested it when it was complete and there was no way to turn one side while holding the other. Clean it and reinstall ?
Also where can I find a adjuster lock screw/bolt, pinion nut,crush sleve and a set of spacers that go under the large pinion race without buying a whole kit ? I had the bearings,races and seals purchased already.

Frank, try Randys ring and pinion. They have lots of parts and kits. The Sure Grip unit you have I believe* is the non-servicable one. You just simply replace it as per MoPars instructions. Now if it can actually be taken apart and rebuilt is a different story I can not tell.

I think the sure grip is the part that cant be rebuilt, if it is a cone style posi ,that would be the reason it is considered a non rebuildable unit.

Thanks guys , I tried 3 times to order the parts form Randys. I went as far as having a guy take my info and the back on hold, 10 minutes later I gave up. I would rather pay more and not be ignored.

If I take some pictures could it be identified as a cone type ?

you can pull the rear cover off ,take a photo of the gear set and someone here should be able to i d it for you. p.s . if you see clutch like plates in there it is not a cone type....

-
Back