8 3/4 489 case 323 needs new yoke

-

highflyer

Reaction score
I picked a 489 case 323 yesterday but the yoke in it is done..needs a new one..i dont know anything about the 489 case.my question is how do i change the yoke .do i have to worry about the compression tube in it or is it a direct take out old bolt in new and torque it ..any help appreciated .tx.j

yes it does have a crush sleeve..stock 489 mopar.so it does have a crush sleeve and to put in a new yolk i still have to worry about this or do i just retorque[ to value ] it like a 741 or 742 tx.j

You'll have to do the preload again. That said order up a solid sleeve and use that, you won't have to worry about that again.
All my 489 get the solid for that reason, no more worries.

If the yoke has been removed you have to go through the process of setting up the pinion bearing preload. Like 1970Duster I always use crush sleeve eliminator kits too cause I don't like messing with crush sleeves and if you have to take it back apart for any reason you don't have to worry about messing up the pinion bearing preload. I will warn you though, don't buy a crush sleeve eliminator kit from the guy on E-bay. I bought 3 because they were priced real good and looked decent. 2 were made way too long and had some very rough burrs down inside I had to grind out. By the time I drove to my buddy's shop to use his lathe to turn them down I was out way more than I saved. Buy from Dr. Diff and you won't get hurt.

How difficult is it to put in..does it go in from the front[under the yoke]or from the gear side..tx..j

How difficult is it to put in..does it go in from the front[under the yoke]or from the gear side..tx..j

The gear side. You have to take it completely apart, set up the pinion bearing preload with no seal in it and when you get the preload set take the yoke back off and install the seal then re-assemble the front end and torque the pinion nut. Then re-install the carrier and set the backlash. To do this you'll need basic hand tools, a rotating inch lb. torque wrench, a large ft. lb torque wrench, a dial indicator setup and something to hold the yoke while you torque it to 220 ft. lbs. Unfortunately 489's are the worst since they use the crush sleeve.

A base line you can use when installing the solid is use your crush sleeve (measuring it). If gear pattern looks good you've got your measurement.

Here's a quick way to "cheat it" Use a torque wrench to remove the bolt that holds the yoke on. You may have to hold the old yoke with a large pipe wrench. Measure the exact torque where the nut breaks loose. Install the new yoke and torque it to 5-10 lbs LESS than the torque at which the nut released. You will not crush the sleeve any more than it was and usually not change the gear setup either.

If you need a fine spline 7290 yoke I have an extra, PM me.

Wow... just count the turns you make to get the nut off, pull the yoke off, slide the new one on, put on blue locktite and then put the nut back the same number of turns PLUS an additional 5 degrees.... (you should get a new nut, which is probably more important than anything else)

and now you're Done

Gonna make him take the entire diff apart and go thru hours of nonsesne and you all left out important details and all because you can't/don't count ?, really, that's the best answer and suggestion ?? get a crush sleeve eliminator to change the end yoke....

Wow... just count the turns you make to get the nut off, pull the yoke off, slide the new one on, put on blue locktite and then put the nut back the same number of turns PLUS an additional 5 degrees.... (you should get a new nut, which is probably more important than anything else)

and now you're Done

Gonna make him take the entire diff apart and go thru hours of nonsesne and you all left out important details and all because you can't/don't count ?, really, that's the best answer and suggestion ?? get a crush sleeve eliminator to change the end yoke....

Some prefer to do it right, while others take shortcuts. What are these details we left out??? Please do enlighten us!

I know your from New York and all but there's no need to be a condescending jerk all the time:wack: just because you can

Thank you all ..i posted again on my "noisey" thread..problem solved for the car.now i can try some of these things you all recomended.Thanks again..j

-
Back