8 3/4 '70 B-body to Abody

-
H

hoobatech

hi, im thinking of getting an 8.75 rear for my 72 demon, i have an 8.75 laying around, it needs gears and its from a 70 b body, do i just need to have a shop put the correct size axles in it to make it work? also anyone have any idea what the cost might be?
Thanks.
ohh, its a 741 case if that makes any difference, other than its the weaker of the two styles

The proof is in the pudding. Measure the width, and if it's really from a '70 B, you'll find out it's only a few inches wider than the A body one. Remove the perches, weld on new ones for like $12. Boom, done.

I did the b body rear swap into my 66 but I had to have it narrowed and custom axles made up to fit the tires in the stock wheel openings. By the time I got done with it with me installing new gears and having the machine work done I had $1500 in it. Way too much money in my opinion. I am sure it can be done cheaper but the moser S-60 dana is not that much more than I spent and is stronger.

Bought a 70 Duster with a 69 charger rear in it. It fit well. The spring mounts
were moved in. But even the tires fit good. Had 15x7 wheels with 235/70s
on the back. My current 73 Duster has a early B body rear in it. Only 1 in.
wider than stock A body 8 3/4. I am able to put 15x8s on with 255/60-15s
tires. They have a 4 1/2 back spacing.

I had it narrowed to fit as wide a tire as I could in the stock wheelhouse with the springs moved in 3/4". The stock width a body axles were about 3/4" too wide. Now with garden variety steel wheels I can run up to a 275 /15 tire in the stock wheelhouse. I think the housing I used came form a 68 coronet and it was 2" too wide on each side.

thanks for your help guys, i thought it looked like it was just a little wider, looks like it should fit.

I just picked up an a-100 van with an 8 3/4 it is the same width drum to drum as my 69 charger it was only 50 bucks for the van so keep an eye out for all that old stuff no one wants

Hoobatech let me know how you make out as I may be looking at the same swap on my Dart.

mopar marc that is a sweet deal, which I could find buys like that !

-
Back