8-3/4 Axle adjustment

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On the 8-3/4 rear, the right axle has an adjustor spline. how much play should be in it? When I make right turns and the car shifts into second I get a grinding sound in my rear and sometimes it will slip like it's spinning the tire. Oh, its a 2.94 open rear, and it didn't do it in the last car it had this gear set in, which makes me think it has to do with that axle.
Thanks!

You adjust it in until there is no slop, rotate it a few times, rap it with a mallet to seat bearings again, adjust to no slop turn again, adjust to no slop, and then loosen 4 holes until you can just get play, like .010 put lock in closest hole and your done. Oh, BTW. There is no way your axle is slipping out of the spider, there are in like 3/4 inch.

Thanks! I have too much play in it. I'll fix it today!

You adjust it in until there is no slop, rotate it a few times, rap it with a mallet to seat bearings again, adjust to no slop turn again, adjust to no slop, and then loosen 4 holes until you can just get play, like .010 put lock in closest hole and your done. Oh, BTW. There is no way your axle is slipping out of the spider, there are in like 3/4 inch.

When you say "loosen 4 holes", what do you mean?

I just changed my diff and now my axel is leaking diff fluid. I messed with the adjuster because I am a noob and do not know how to correctly adjust it back....argh. Your help is appreciated:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thanks,
Grant

Here is the correct procedure. Jack the rear of the car up and support it on jack stands. Remove both rear wheels and drums. Starting with the driver's side axle, take a large rubber hammer (or use a block of wood to protect the axle from a ball peen) and tap the axle IN towards the center of the car as far as it will go. This will assure you get the end play all transferred to the side with the adjustment. Do not push in hard on the passenger's side axle, but only enough to feel the end play. If you push in too much, you'll need to repeat the above procedure. In fact, I recommend you DO push too far in so you can get the feel for exactly what you're doing, then tap the driver's side axle back in.

Now that you have all of the axle play transfered to the passenger's side, it's time to make the adjustment. Grab the passenger's side axle flange and gently push it in and pull it out to feel the end play.....but be careful not to push the thrust block inside the differential. This will require yet again tapping on the driver's side axle. Note the amount of play with a dial indicator. Now, remove the adjuster nut and lock and adjust the end play to .006"-010". Replace the lock and nut and put the drums and wheels back on and let the car down. You're done.

-
Back