8 3/4 axle manufactures?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am in the market for some new axles and was wondering what brand is the most common. I looked at Moser but they are wanting $370 for stock replacements. The engine will be going behind a 408 that is mostly a cruiser but may see a handful of trips to the track each year.

Cass is the man! If I can get something from @DoctorDiff that's where I get it. Customer service is great, the parts he sells are high quality, and he's super knowledgeable if you have any questions. I try to give him business whenever I can.

MOSER..quality is second to none,have bought and seen the others no comparison not even close..

I've got yukons. They were short (ripped 1/4 off the ends) I ended up buying single spline side gears from dr diff. He said that they have been told but hadn't done anything. not sure if they are still being produced that way but just my 2 cents. (also this was 10+ years ago)

I am in the market for some new axles and was wondering what brand is the most common. I looked at Moser but they are wanting $370 for stock replacements. The engine will be going behind a 408 that is mostly a cruiser but may see a handful of trips to the track each year.
Contact Dr Diff.

Free shipping through Summit. Don't forget to add bearings, & studs when shopping around.

Doc. Diff looks like a package.
Green Bearings.
No want.
Will Doc. Diff swap to tapered rollers?
Might add cost?

Yes, he’ll ship the OE style tapered bearings if you want them and send the axles bare. That’s how I got my axles when I bought them from DoctorDiff. The tapered bearings are usually more expensive because you get Timkens, so it adds a little to the price.

The only thing that’s different is the green bearings come installed with the retaining plates, whereas with the tapered bearings you’ll need to use your own adjuster and retainer plates (because the tapered bearings don’t come with them), so the axles come bare and you have to install the bearings. But Cass deducts the cost of the green bearings, you don’t have to pay for stuff you don’t want.

He used to sell HD retainer and adjuster sets, so if you bought those with the tapered bearing you could get everything installed. Don’t see those on his site anymore though, and those were kinda pricey. Although they looked bombproof compared to the stock stuff.

Last edited:
Doogievig,

The car came with them in the 8 3/4 rear. I had them out when the new 489 diff went in. No real comments on them though, my car just hit the road a bit ago, and any serious throttle inputs create loud sounds and smoke so the axels are not asked to do much ;) yet.

Marion

Email Cass what you want. Great guy, knows and stands behind his stuff and will help you. Green bearings are better than they were many many years ago, but I do like the tapered design but it has it's drawbacks too.

Looks like I will likely go with Dr. Diff. After researching it the consensus on bearing seems to come down to personal preference.

Doogievig

If you decide to go with rear discs in the future, I saw many conversion kits that only worked with green bearings. Something to keep in mind.

Marion

Doogievig

If you decide to go with rear discs in the future, I saw many conversion kits that only worked with green bearings. Something to keep in mind.

Marion

Yeah, avoid those rear disk kits.

DoctorDiff sells rear disk brake kits that work with tapered style bearings too.

-
Back