8 3/4 axle removal question

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the seals, pack bearings, and new fluid in a new to me 8 3/4 that has sat for a LONG time. I've never done this before but I've done my homework.

My only question is, on the axle adjuster side, do I need to loosen it to take it off or put it back on? I know it needs to have a certain amount of play but if I don't move the adjuster, or put it back where it was should it still be set? Thanks in advance.

Technically Yes. But bearing and such wear over time so it would be best to adjust it.

Download your years Factory Service Manual from mymopar.com

All the adjusting etc are in it

Technically Yes. But bearing and such wear over time so it would be best to adjust it.

Download your years Factory Service Manual from mymopar.com

All the adjusting etc are in it
I have the manual and the specs, I was mainly wondering if you have to loosen that adjuster to remove or install that axle.

no you don't have to loosen to remove the axle. There is or should not be much/or any pressure on the adjuster because that is how you set "end play" (slop) in the axle bearings.
However, you may need to backoff on the adjuster to reinstall the axle and then sneak up on gaining correct end play

no you don't have to loosen to remove the axle. There is or should not be much/or any pressure on the adjuster because that is how you set "end play" (slop) in the axle bearings.
However, you may need to backoff on the adjuster to reinstall the axle and then sneak up on gaining correct end play
Awesome! Thank you!

if I don't move the adjuster, or put it back where it was should it still be set?

You're going to replace the inner seals, and leave the bearings and outer seals? You'll have to check the end play. Don't over-grease the bearings, it can push past the outer seal behind the bearing and ruin your brake shoes.

You're going to replace the inner seals, and leave the bearings and outer seals? You'll have to check the end play. Don't over-grease the bearings, it can push past the outer seal behind the bearing and ruin your brake shoes.
speaking of, I would be remiss if I didn't caution you about using the correct wheel bearing grease. I've found that moly EP(charcoal grey colored) chassis grease does not work well on roller bearings. It's fine for ball joints, tie rod ends, and things with sliding friction, but it does not work that well for tapered roller, and ball bearings.

speaking of, I would be remiss if I didn't caution you about using the correct wheel bearing grease. I've found that moly EP(charcoal grey colored) chassis grease does not work well on roller bearings. It's fine for ball joints, tie rod ends, and things with sliding friction, but it does not work that well for tapered roller, and ball bearings.
I'll be using the sticky red stuff made specifically for bearings. I used it on my front bearings a while back.

long strand bearing grease works too. Sort of a sick loogie color.

-
Back