8 3/4 axles

-

71Duster

Reaction score
My Duster has stock axles redrilled for the big bolt pattern, I've had two different center sections in the car finding the gear ratio I wanted. But one noise follows me a nice howl on the accel side but only at certain speeds. The axles are the culprit I am sure it has the green bearings not the adjustable ones so I'm in the market for axles wanting to get away from the bolt in type studs. What does everyone recomend?

Hi 71Duster,

If you have a noise only on acceleration, it is must likely not the sealed axle bearings making the noise.

More common would be the gear set itself, or a pinion bearing. You can run the car on jack stands or a lift while listening to various rear end components with a stethescope.

HTH's

on my new 8.75 you can hear two cars back with the radio and a/c on! its gears on mine, only certain speeds, but on the decel also

steve

If you read my post though I have had a 3.23 center section that was stock, a 3.90 center section of unknowen orig. and a new professionally built 3.55 center section ALL with the same noise. The only 2 constants are the houseing and the axles and bearings. I know where my suspect lies. It's ONLY on accel and after a few minutes driveing and only at very certain rpm and speed range. A hair faster gone a hair slower and it slowly goes away.

Some light gear noise may be normal. Not every set is run in perfectly and/or set up perfectly. Even brand new cars had some noise in them at certain speeds. One of our Chrysler technical reps used to say, "Here the Japanese are measuring oil seals with a micrometer and we're stamping out ring and pinion gears with an axe."

If the noise is light, easily covered up by the radio or an A/C blower I wouldn't worry about it. Axle bearings would make a constant noise that change pitch with the speed of the wheels.

-
Back