8 3/4 bigbolt axle versus wheel adaptors

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Thanks to all who can help. What do I have to change to go from small to big bolt pattern axles besides the drums and axles? What about wheel adaptors? Are they safe? Where can I buy them? If I go the wheel adaptor route is this all I will need? Thanks tod. [email protected]

You should mention what motor and tranny you have,for torque and horsepower.Do you have a 6,273,318,340,360 or BB??

Thanks to all who can help. What do I have to change to go from small to big bolt pattern axles besides the drums and axles? What about wheel adaptors? Are they safe? Where can I buy them? If I go the wheel adaptor route is this all I will need? Thanks tod. [email protected]

Although they sell many every day, I would never use a wheel adapter. Send Moser your axles and drums and let them redrill them for you.

I'm with Longgone. Back in the mid-60s, we used adapters to put GM wheels on large bolt pattern VWs. The adapter let us accomplish the objective, but...

The adapter moves the wheel toward the wheel well opening. Looks cool, but...
When the wheel was moved out, 1. it changed the camber, especially in the rear, accelerating wear on the inside edge of the tire. 2. the steering became more like a pedal car, stiff off center and then, whoof, you're hanging on to keep it from turning sharper. 3. Blowouts tended to throw the tire off the rim (caused by #1), especially up front.

For these reasons, I would not recommend adapters for street use. I can't imagine any competition sanctioning body to allow them, either.

For only $280 + shipping you can buy a Yukon axle kit that are large bolt pattern with the wheel studs, bearings, axle seals, gaskets, and everything. Why bother with spacers or re-drilling your old equipment. Source up some brakes off anything else with the large bolt pattern.
I suppose this opens up a whole other can of worms though. I for one will take the sealed bearing design any day of the week though.

I thimk the feelings are to buy the axles. Where do I buy them? What shoe size do I run? Would I have to change cylinders, backing plates and everything? Longgone you stated to have moser redrill what I have. That sounds like the cheapest. Do you have a number for them? Thanks.

I thimk the feelings are to buy the axles. Where do I buy them?

I got a few of the Yukon axle kits on eBay, probably the cheapest place to find them. Though I'll never buy from MopartsDealer again ...long story.

The axle kit may be a few dollars more but you'll have a lot better stuff. You can probably sell your original axles for $50.00+ to help recover some more of the initial costs.

My local machine shop was going charge me $75.00 to redrill my axles and drums.
If you have to ship your heavy axles and drums out, it surely will more then double the price.

You should still be able to run the rest of your brake set-up with some LBP drums that match.

I thimk the feelings are to buy the axles. Where do I buy them? What shoe size do I run? Would I have to change cylinders, backing plates and everything? Longgone you stated to have moser redrill what I have. That sounds like the cheapest. Do you have a number for them? Thanks.

Here you go........... http://www.moserengineering.com/ It`s been a while since I had mine done but it was right at $180.00 to have both the axles and drums done. They`re quick too!

not sure but it may be cheaper to only have the axles redrilled and find junkyard drums in big bolt pattern for 10 bucks a piece. it would probably cost 20 in shipping alone on the drums.

-
Back