8 3/4 brake upgrades

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
Have a '69 8 3/4 on my 64 barracuda and wanted to upgrade to larger brakes and bolt spacing. It has 10x1 3/4 now on 4"BS. If I go to 10x2 1/2 can I use my current back plates? Also, what does this upgrade do to the overall length of the axle, for both the 10x2 1/2 and the 11x2 1/2. Am I correct in thinking the 11's (with fins)won't fit 14" rims

Just relized my error in using my existing back plates with the new bolt pattern! All other questions apply.

The difference in shoe width is made up with a deeper dish in the center of the backing plates for the 2 1/2" brakes. Overall axle width shouldn't change, it's still axle flange to axle flange. You will need stock length A body axles with the 4 1/2" bolt pattern, 10X2 1/2" backing plates, drums to match ('72 Charger is what I used), wheel cylinders, hardware, and shoes. Make sure you get the E brake levers and the spreader bars from the donor car since they are made of unobtainium. I used the 10 inch brakes because the parts are cheaper than the 11s, I wanted to keep the 14" wheels, and there are a lot more donor cars available. You can find them under '66-'79 B bodies, '70-'74 E bodies, F,M,J bodies (Volare, Aspen, Dippy, 5th Avenue) and even '73-'76 A bodies with 4 1/2" bolt pattern. In my opinion early A's don't need 11" brakes because they are so light. With 10X2 1/2" rear brakes and '75 A body front discs, my '66 Valiant will stop on a dime and give 8 cents change. Don't know for sure that you will need 15" wheels to clear the 11" brakes, but everything I've ever seen with those brakes had 15" wheels. Hope this helps.

I just upgraded to 10x2 1/2,and yes you,ll have to switch your backing plates.I used 97-99 Dakota b.plates cause they were easier to get.Good Luck!

Grat word there Grumpuscreature...."unobtainum". I'm sure we've all been a victim of that word, we just didn't know what it was.

-
Back