8 3/4 fitment

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
has anyone tried to put an 8 3/4 from a '68-'70 B body in a '71ish swinger?

Before you say it has to be narrowed or it can't be done it is 1.8 longer per side then an A body one and I think with a set of 14 in rallys and 235 60 14's it might just go in. Maybe just roll the 1/4 lip?

Anyway has anyone tried it?

While I haven't put one in a swinger, I am putting on in a 67 barracuda as we speak. I did a test fit before I welded on new perches with a set of weld wheels 15x8 with 5 1/2 inch offset with P255/60 tires. The fit is great, the wheel wells look full without coming out past the wheel wells.

It seems a lot of people on this site have done it, I personally think it looks like crap by having the rear tires stick out further than they are suppose to, 1 1/2" per side is a lot. It's a lot easier to get by with on a 67-69 Cuda and the Demon/Duster bodies considering the wheel well size but still looks funny.

As long as you move the spring perches in the required ammount - I believe 43" center to center - you will be good to go. Some people have installed them without moving the perches, but personally I think this puts the springs in an awkward bind. The biggest thing to do after you have it installed is to get rims with a deeper backspacing so the rim/tire is centered in your wheelwell. Go for it.

ok thank you guys, I have been debating moving the perches but it is not out of question. I am going to do it and try to squeeze it in with the rallys and 235 60 14s.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll have enough backspacing with a stock rally wheel. You will probably need something with 1.75" to 2" more backspacing. But hey, it never hurts to try it with one tire mounted. If you measure from the face of your brake drum, back to the spring, or the closest metal in the rear of the wheellwell, you can get pretty close to the measurement you'll need in wheel backspace.

-
Back