8 3/4 for Racing

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
Will the 8 3/4 with 489 case and stock housing hold up? It is a Moser nodular case with Auburn sure grip, Moser alloy axles and Richmond 4.10's. Eventually I will be doing some runs with my 71 Dart. Current 408 engine is in the 530 to 550 hp but will be up in the 575 range when on the strip. The 904 is beefed quite a bit, but will be going with a low first gear and brake at that time. Car will weigh about 3200 or less with me. I know a lot of people are running these, but don't want to shuck it when the wheels come of the ground. I am estimating mid to low 10's.

Thanks......

My neighbor runs a 69 Dart into the mid 9's. He has a shortened 8 3/4 489 housing, spool, not sure on axles but they are aftermarket. His car is slightly over 600 HP and he leaves the line around 3400 off the trans brake. It has held up just fine.

It also has a back brace on it.

I run the 8 3/4 in my NHRA stocker. Pic of the car is my avatar. I've gone a best of 10.57 at over 123 mph with a total car/driver weight of 3340 pounds and don't have an problems. I did put some braces on the spring perches and a back brace on the housing though. Keep in mind that the gears don't last forever. I change them out every year as part of my annual preventative maintainance program. I generally put about 65 runs per year on them and they still look good when I take them out.

Ken

-
Back