8 3/4 gasket locations

-

steveh

Reaction score
searched previous posts but couldn't find a clear answer 4 this one.

3 gaskets...1 foam, one metal, one paper. where do they go?

best I can tell...foam against axle housing,followed by metal one and then the backing plate...paper goes between frontside ofbacking plate and axle retainer is that correct?

View attachment 8.75moparrearend.jpg

The foam goes behind the backing plate. It supposed to keep dirt and grime from getting into the brakes.

And I'm drawing a blank on the metal and paper. I "think" the paper is against the flange and the metal is behind the retainer.

Hopefully someone can clarify that.

bruce,

I got the same shop manual pic but cant tell which gasket goes where...runnin green bearings if that makes a difference...

thx
steve

bruce,

I got the same shop manual pic but cant tell which gasket goes where...runnin green bearings if that makes a difference...

thx
steve

Greens shouldn't make a difference. That's why I said "I think" lol.

Someone will either correct me, or confirm. It's been a bit since I built mine, and I'm old. :D

Metal goes between the housing flange and the axle retainer! Just broke down an unmolested rear, no paper gasket to be found, just the metal and foam! Geof

Metal goes between the housing flange and the axle retainer! Just broke down an unmolested rear, no paper gasket to be found, just the metal and foam! Geof

I could be wrong, but I think the paper is against the flange to help keep the metal gasket from rusting to the flange. After so many years it probaly disintegrated.

if that's correct then the proper placement would be

foam btween housing and backing plate

once the backing plate is on, then metal then paper then retainer...sound right?

I'm kind of interested as well since I am in the same boat as steveh.

Metal under the axle retainer and foam under the backing plate.I have never seen a paper gasket on all the rears I have tore apart.

Reporting from the shop.....no sign of any paper gasket residue anywhere!! My guess is if it had one, it was between te axle flange and the metal gasket, as the metal was definetly hard against the housing and has indented impressions from the housing!! Geof

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 841
  • 029.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 652
Metal under the axle retainer and foam under the backing plate.I have never seen a paper gasket on all the rears I have tore apart.

I haven't either that's why I'm thinking after 40 plus years, wet, salt etc seeping in there it probably just disintegrated.

Reporting from the shop.....no sign of any paper gasket residue anywhere!! My guess is if it had one, it was between te axle flange and the metal gasket, as the metal was definetly hard against the housing and has indented impressions from the housing!! Geof

cosgig,

when you say axle flange are you referring to the retainer as depicted in the earlier schematic?

thx for the pics

Axle flange is the 2nd pic! The flat plate on the axle itself that bolts to the housing!! I still contend that there was no paper gasket in there, and I don't see where there is a need for one!!

understood thx...last question,

which way does the metal gasket on? one side has ridge other side is flat...assuming flat side goes against the retainer?

Flat side with the concave side of the ridge goes against the housing, the ridge side was against the axle flange retainer! Again, more evidence!! The housing flange has radial grooves from the milling which were pressed into the metal gasket! If there was a paper gasket, it wasn't between the housing and the metal gasket! Geof

Steve,

You said you have green bearings. Did you order the green bearing retainer kit or the kit for tapered rollers.

After doing some looking apparently the two are different. There is a paper gasket that goes between the retainer and flange.

The reason I ask is because you're saying you have the metal gasket and it doesn't show that for the green.

I'm just wondering if you are working with incompatible items.

Here's the green kit.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mm3063.html

It looks different than the tapered. Now I'm confused.

Do you have the service manual?
Section 3-15

yep, but it aint clear...says rubber asbestos gasket goes between housing and backing plate and the foam one goes on before slipping the axle in which makes no sense to me...

Steve,

You said you have green bearings. Did you order the green bearing retainer kit or the kit for tapered rollers.

After doing some looking apparently the two are different. There is a paper gasket that goes between the retainer and flange.

The reason I ask is because you're saying you have the metal gasket and it doesn't show that for the green.

I'm just wondering if you are working with incompatible items.

Here's the green kit.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mm3063.html

It looks different than the tapered. Now I'm confused.

bruce,

ithink that is part of my problem. green bearing was leaking...pulled axle tried to use metal gasket from napa...sounds like all I need is the paper

Post a pic of what you have for gaskets. It looks as though that paper gasket is kinda thick for the green. I'm guessing the one you have is thinner paper, would that be correct?

I'm thinking you have the OEM gaskets and you need the green bearing gaskets. I wasn't aware there was a difference but from what I see after looking it looks like there is.

At least I learned something today. :D

And if it's leaking I think your gonna want to change the inner axle seal, there should not be any gear lube that far out in the tube.. I believe the green bearings are a sealed bearing aren't they?

I just looked at Cass's site and it states the greens are a sealed bearing.

The metal gasket goes between the axle housing and the backing plate. The foam gasket goes between the backing plate and the axle retainer.

So installation would go-

metal gasket against the axle housing
backing plate
foam gasket
axle w/ axle retainer

The metal gasket seals the backing plate to the housing. The foam gasket seals dirt out of the axle bearings and grease out of the brakes.

The green bearings should still have the metal gasket between the axle housing and the backing plate, as that doesn't change. But there's usually a paper gasket instead of the foam one for the axle retainer plate. But they're sealed anyway, and there should be an O-ring on the bearing in addition to being sealed. You don't actually have to run the outer axle seal (in the housing tube) if you're running green bearings, and aftermarket axle flanges don't actually leave room for that seal.

no camera...and yes they are sealed. tech they shouldn't need an inner seal...put one in anyway but its still leaks....gonna run some rtv around the o ring to seif I can stop it

no camera...and yes they are sealed. tech they shouldn't need an inner seal...put one in anyway but its still leaks....gonna run some rtv around the o ring to seif I can stop it

When you installed the new seal, which way did you put it in, spring side should be inward toward the center.. Did you put some grease around the spring to help hold in place until you got it all together.

RTV may work for a bit, but at some point I bet you see gear lube in your brakes.

-
Back