8 3/4 gear change

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 with 323 non posi. My question is, i would like to change the gears and have never done this before. How hard is this?Can i do it my self? or should i bring it to a shop?

Thanks any help you can give would be great

If you don't the the tools to do it take it to a shop....not that there are special tools other than a dial indicator.......It cost me $90 for the shop to set mine up.....not worth it for me to try it and possible ruin a gear set. Now I'd like to learn how to do it and if I had someone over my shoulder showing me what to do and what to look for I'd do it myself.......but I didn't know anyone at the time.

I checked out how much it would cost me last night.With me suppling the gears it would be anywhere from $300 to $500+.Just to put in the gear!And the diff. is of the car!This doesnt seem right and I called 5-6 different shops.
Can anyone help :cussing:

It is more a patience thing. You need a dial indicator, and a torque wrench. And a good vise. If you are putting new gears and carrier and bearings you can just heat up the bearings on your coffemaker and they will go on. I took my time and went from 2.76's to 4.30's and it wasn't that bad.

Those quotes seem way high....do they know you are suppling the gears, bearings and pulling the center section? Tell them the rear is like a Ferd 9" they might not know the center comes out.....they might be thinking it's like the 8 1/4" rear. If they know exactly what it is they are literally raping you......those prices are way to high.

Dusterb318 said:
Those quotes seem way high....do they know you are suppling the gears, bearings and pulling the center section? Tell them the rear is like a Ferd 9" they might not know the center comes out.....they might be thinking it's like the 8 1/4" rear. If they know exactly what it is they are literally raping you......those prices are way to high.

no kidding!!

I have an 8 3/4 in my Satellite that was a 2.94 pegger. I just bought a sure grip chunk with 3.55's. Easy swap. Just get a gasket and the appropriate lube and limited slip additive. You can do it yourself, you might want to use a jack if you can't lift it into place. If you want to change the gears in your chunk keeping it a pegger, you might want some professional help setting that up.

-
Back