8 3/4 gear setup

-
Started over. Went with zero shims behind the inner bearing. Now am at .035.
Sure grip is not hitting.
Coast side is right. Drive side hits the toe high then spreads across center of tooth.
Have 21-22 inch pounds on the preload.

U will heed to take at least .020 out of the pinion for it not to hit the unit. When ur getting on ur car the crown gear wants/try’s to pull the pinion into it. There was a discussion awhile ago about the case and the caps not being cut perfectly in the center. Yours will be 1 of them. U need another case. Kim
Kim, I respectfully disagree. Under power they push apart, this is why you have a bigger bearing on the inside of the pinion. They pull together on deceleration. I have seen the pinion marks on sure grips before on units where the nut was loose and the pinion walks backward when you decelerate. Lay a gear on the bench, hold the pinion in mesh and turn it in the driving direction. I beleive you will find they push apart.

1570114653135-729882039.jpg

1570114725425-736196393.jpg

Back lash is at .06

Are you applying resistance to the ring gear when you are testing the drive side?

Are you applying resistance to the ring gear when you are testing the drive side?

Yes.

Figured out a couple things.
The guy I was working with was saying to add shims and I listened to him.
He had the pumpkin upside down in the holder which was backward to me.
Finally I removed shims and turned it right side up and things started to go correctly.
Figured the suregrip hitting the pinion
must have been the .09 shim pac and maybe the carrier races were cocked.

Drive side is off the toe and centered. The coast side moved in toward the toe from center a little bit

-
Back