8 3/4 help plz

-

mattchoy

Reaction score
i just bought a 8 3/4 housing, it measures 51" 13/16 from flange to flange,43'' from perch to perch. everything i read says it should b 52 5/8.somebody hacked it , i think that the axel tubes r two differnt lenghts , can the housing be lenghtend back to spec? both axels should b same right?

Someone shortened a rear to make a bbp rear the same total width as a factory A body, 57 1/8"

The axle should be the same length from housing/pumpkin center. If it was 52" total width, it should be 26" to the center of the pumpkin opening.

i measured from center of pumpkin hole to each flange one side 24" 3/4 the other 27" 1/8 ,what is goin on here?

yeah the drivers side is the short side.When u shorten an a body rear do both sides need to b shortend ,it looks like the only cut one side?normal?

If you are putting it in a mopar car, both sides need to be shortened the same amount. The axles should be equi-length. Any pinion offset is taken up by the pumpkin.

...............Hey Cracked, u better check again, just look down the tunnel from trans to rear, u can see its offset, or measure it...............kim.......

We are talking 8.75 here. The axle housing is the same length to both sides from center. Look at axle lengths for any mopar car, the axles are the same length for both sides on any muscle mopar 8.75 rear, no offset in the housing itself.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

When you pop the pumpkin in, the pumpkin has the pinion offset in it, not the housing. On a D60, you offset the axle lengths, 1 3/8" longer on drivers side, to get the pinion offset.

do u think this housing can b repaired back to spec? what should it measure from center of pumpkin hole to each flange? thx

std A body housing width is 52 5/8.

Can it be fixed, Yes. At what cost??? You'd have to section a piece of tube in to lengthen the housing back to std length.

............R ur spring pads the same distance from the flange on each side........whoever sgortened it didnt know mopars.........kim....

yeah, the spring perches measure 43'', and there both like 3'' off the flange

-
Back