8 3/4 Inner Axle Seal Installer Tool

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A while back I recall a member saying he made an axil seal installer tool.

I'm in the process of making one (3D printed)

If the Member sees, this would you chime in on your dimensions and how well it has worked for you.

Thanks

@mopowers let me borrow this, I’m actually about to try it out today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A special tool for installation would be welcome if it included a depth indicator. You could drive in the seal to the proper depth, clearing the bearing and its collar.

That's the hard part. Figuring out WHERE to put the depth so the seal clears the retainer AND mates to the seal surface on the axle.

This is where I am at at the moment

Green stops on the backing plate The large cutouts will clear the axle mounting bolts so you can snug down the backing plate

Blue is a tad smaller dia than the bearing OD
Red is a tad smaller dia than the seal OD

And the dimension from the green stop to the red arrow surface sets the depth.

1690044901253.png

I was thinking about making this in 3 pieces with a bolt in the center to hold them together. That way you could add shim stock to move the seal deeper into the housing.

I also thought about having a metal shim made that would bottom on the chamfer and make a positive stop for the seal to seat against. It would have the proper thickness to seat the seal correctly.

Then there is the variable of the adjustable side!!!!!

ARRG it makes my head hurt!

1690046167531.png

I think you`ll find that tapping them in till they stop will be the correct depth.
Measure your old one before removal and sneak up on that measurement with the new one.
Pretty sure I slapped this together for rear seals.
I used a massive washer/pipe/round bar stock. lol

1690047989414.png

I think you`ll find that tapping them in till they stop will be the correct depth.
The problem I have with that is the "Stop" is tiny and chamfered

PXL_20230722_175947974~2.jpg

I just had an idea...

Might even be a good idea!

take or make a washer that is 0.050" thick that fits over the axle and butts up to the Bearing retainer. Put the seal in maybe 1/4" (have to experiment as to how far to put it in so the spline of the axle shaft can be engaged in the gears)

Then slowly tighten the axle retainer bolts.

The washer will set the space between the seal and the retainer and keep it square in the bore.

carefully remove the axle and remove the washer.
Put the axle back in and your done.

Now if there was a material that was strong enough but dissolved in gear oil????

OH OH.

Cut off an axle shaft (a couple inches past the seal surface) that has the bearing and retainer still on and do the same thing????

That`s where it`ll stop.:)
To verify, measure as said.
See if old one taps in further before pulling.
That will prove me right or wrong, if wrong, I can take it:) won`t be the first time

Yes more overthinking. As you are driving in the seal there will be a noticeable change in the sound, movement and feel of the hammer blows, when the seal reaches the step in the housing. Stop there.

Measure the depth of the seal before you remove it to be sure It’s in the right place.

That`s where it`ll stop.:)
To verify, measure as said.
See if old one taps in further before pulling.
That will prove me right or wrong, if wrong, I can take it:) won`t be the first time
Part of my issue is the seal is leaking with only 600 miles on a rebuild.

If the builder put it all the way in then maybe it should be out a bit?

I have not pulled it yet. I'll know all those things when I do.

The axles visually looked fine when I took them to the builder.

I may have cooked it due to brake binding issue.

I measured 200 deg end of axle temp

Are all seals at the same depth? 7 1/4", 8 3/4", 9 1/4" ? With axles removed, measure from axle retainer to bearing retainer. The seal will be just beyond that. No need to fit inside the seal, just the outside for driving.

Are all seals at the same depth? 7 1/4", 8 3/4", 9 1/4" ? With axles removed, measure from axle retainer to bearing retainer. The seal will be just beyond that. No need to fit inside the seal, just the outside for driving
I doubt that those 3 are the same.

Maybe the Dana 60 and 8 3/4 but there is no reason they should be the same.

Right now I don't have an axle with OEM style bearings on it, so I'm baseing everything off of a bare axle and a set of new style green bearings.

I will know a lot more when I get the axle out

My first attempt with 3D print fits well in the housing. And bottoms out on the backing plate before the bearing edge makes any contact.

I can reduce the bearing depth and increase the seal depth to be sure.

Anyone have a trashed OEM housing end and an axle with oem style bearings on it they want to part with???

(Yes mods I know I need to start a wanted ad)

I would section it to see the fit etc.

This is the first attempt.

PXL_20230722_233825228.jpg

PXL_20230722_233839290.jpg

It places the leading edge of the seal 1.650" in from the outer edge of the backing plate.

I am not yet accounting for gasket between backing plate and axle housing end.

it fits in with little side movement.

it's 1/4" thick.

if this material can take some blows it might work, assuming I have the dimensions correct.

I'll back up the striking end with a block of wood to distribute the force.

I've always tapped them with a long flat nosed punch. Just slowly tap them in until they stop. You can feel when they bottom out if you're not pounding the dang snot out of it.

Go to a place that rents bearing and seal drivers. They will have a kit with a few different sizes. U will have to stop the process once u feel the lip inside being contacted by the seal. Here is a crude pic. But u get the picture. Kim

image.jpg

Go to a place that rents bearing and seal drivers. They will have a kit with a few different sizes. U will have to stop the process once u feel the lip inside being contacted by the seal. Here is a crude pic. But u get the picture. Kim

View attachment 1716118363
I love the instruction "smack here". lol

I just put a pair in and they both leak. I’ve done this 50 times so it was not installer error. the tool is round and pushes on the entire seal around the perimeter.

I wonder if the rubber is crap or the id is a little too big. What brand were they? Axles perfect? Or? Can u post a few pics of your seal driver. Notice I didn’t ask for a pic of your tool. Lol

This is a nice project. I would expect that "green bearing" depth would be different from original tapered bearing.

I've actually never seen these type inner seals. The ones I've always installed had a full rubber exterior and were black.

-
Back