8&3/4" mopar vs Phord 9" vs xploder 8.8" rear

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi Y'all

since i have nothing but time on my hands to rebuild the cuda i have been looking at all angles to the rear end dilemma i have. my car is a SBP 7&1/4 peg leg rear. i initially wanted to go mopar 8&3/4 but was told by a few as well as in my internet musings that this was cost prohibitive. at $500 for an empty 8&3/4 A body axle housing on ebay i started looking for alternatives. so i started looking at the Phord xploder 8.8 specifically the 95 and up one with rear discs. i also looked into a phord late style 9" so this is what i came up with.

the xploder is a good idea with some goodies to make it a good swap candidate. it comes with good gearing options, most have a sure grip differential, it is the large mopar bolt pattern, and 95 and newer come with disc brakes. this rear is ideal for use with the newer style american racing styled wheels like on the mustang GT with a back offset on the older mopar this may just be the ticket due to its wider track width.

the cons i found are that it doesnt have a pinion snubber, so alternate traction aids need to be used such as traction bars. you will need to come up with a bastard type U joint to make the drive shaft work, plus figure out how to adapt te parking brake cables to work off the disc brake rear. additionally you will have to change the location of the spring perches and or narrow the rear if you dont like its track width.

the ford 9" is also a good idea, as it is a bullet proof design, and will work well narrowed and set up with a 4 link and coil springs for a drag car. my buddy offered me one complete drum to drum with center chunk from a 74 mercury montego. i found out that speedway motors makes the 31 spline axles in ford/mopar as well as chevy bolt pattern and sells these in different lengths and you cut to fit on the splined end. the outer axle bearing carrier flanges are available as weld on for $75 a pair. so theoretically you can cut down the nine inch to the width you desire, add your flange ends, spring perches and viola ford 9" under a mopar

the cons to the 9" setup are the afore mentioned pinion snubber that you can negate with a set of traction bars. the speedway cut to fit axles are $200 per side without studs. plus the bastard u joint and parking brake snafu.

this led me back to the mopar 8&3/4" rear end. i located an empty housing out of an old C body which i am still deciding on purchasing for $50 i checked out mancini racing and found that i can purchase new stock length A body axles SBP and BBP with the Green bearings and studs installed for $150 per side. mancini also sells the axle flange ends for $75 for the pair, and spring perches for $11 each. a local axle shop i found can narrow the rear to stock width for $200

this is a little pricy for some folks at $647 and i havent found brakes to go with it yet, as i am torn between going with a disc conversion or staying with drums. plus i still need to find a center chunk #742, or #741 are the castings to look for as they offer the most gear selections. additionally i can scratch off the $75 for the axle flanges if the axle shop can put em in a lathe and cut the weld off then they can be reused. this drops it to $572 without the center chunk.

the benefits with doing this swap are that with some stock parts swapping after the axle is narrowed everything is now a bolt in, and you dont need to be an engineer to make it all work. plus it keeps it all mopar.

now before i jump on that C body housing i may wait for a few more of the local police auctions to run in my town in hopes that a nasty old C body will be dragged out of somebodys back yard that i can get for cheap. i can pull the complete axle with chunk, brakes, U bolts, and shock mount plates which i will need for the conversion, and scrap the rest of the car to get back some of my money, if it works out i am thinking a $100 C body, remove axle, drag rest across scales at scrap yard and get back $150.00 what was left of my 74 dart 4 door parts car along with the slant sick engine and tranny from the barracuda fetched me $158.40 in scrap metal.

now keep in mind this is not the end all to this type of debate. i personally am wanting a stock width A body rear axle under my car, my personal preference. as well as not wanting the old lakewood style slapper bars hanging under my leaf springs as i feel these look tacky, again my preference. id prefer an adjustable pinion snubber from direct connection.

feel free to reply to this post. i think the narrowed C body axle is the way i am going to go but i'd like to hear what y'all did to solve this problem for your A body.

Matt

I heard on this site that the 9 inch from the 57-59 farilane bolts right into an a body. It's supost to be half an inch more narrow on each side for bigger wheels.

Its a buyer market. You may be able to find a reasonably priced a body housing. Ask for one on here and see what happens. It doesn't hurt to ask and its free.

i am located in abilene texas. probably too far to go for an axle. i am planning on converting to big bolt pattern. my 74 dart parts car gave up its V8 K frame and disc brakes, but that being said how much do you want for that fine chunk o iron??

matt

see thats the thing. i want to go big bolt pattern so for me i may as well just wait for a crusty C body to hit the police impound auction.

out here its amazing the stuff you find lying around peoples property. since its pretty dry nothing really rusts badly. theres still lots of old mopars out this way just sitting.

but thanks for the offer

I know it's suck's, but I have that into the rearend, there is no cheap way around the rear end, it's not so much the housing, it's the diff that kill's ya. I remember buy 489 carriers for 250 like 10-12 years ago with a suregrip in them. Good luck, and don't overlook the 8 1/4 , I ran a 416 stroker with mine no problems, 450 hp hughes motor.

you can find a deal. i had an 8.75 abody rear sbp with brakes and drums plus a 489 3.23 open for 500. Ended up selling locally for 450. so i wouldnt have to hassle with shipping. you can sell the sbp axles and recoup some cost of the bbp axles. c body axles can be cut and resplined by moser reasonably also.

The 8.8 is junk. Unless you go for the added expense of a c clip eliminator kit, don't even consider it. Why is everybody so gung ho on rear disc brakes? I don't get it. You gonna put an alterkation under the front or sumthin similar? I mean if you're really gonna do the autocross thing, then yeah I might can see all that then. But without the c clip eliminator kit, and a good bit of power, you're riskin you life and anybody else on the road with you. All that holds those axles in is the c clips that slide behind a little button on the end of each axle. They have a nasty habit of breaking in stock vehicles, much less anything with power. Unless you're gonna have a real boatload of power, I say stick with the 8.750. Although the 9 inch does benefit from pinion support in the rear, unlike the 8.750, you will never need it in anything but the highest of power levels. Besides that, there are plenty of cost effective kits to put discs on the 8.750 if it's killin you to have um. I say leave it Mopar.

The 8.8 is junk. Unless you go for the added expense of a c clip eliminator kit, don't even consider it.

Considering the number of 10 sec late model Mustangs running around with 8.8's it is far from junk. C-clips themselves almost never fail, it's the axle breaking any where along it's length that allows the axle to seperate. A c-clip elminator is not a bad idea for a high horespower and traction applications but totally not needed for a street car.

The 8.8 is fine, and parts are dirt cheap. But you will need to fabricate. E-brake is easy as they are pulled with cables, you may need new cables or fab up a bracket or two, plus the perches. Otherwise it's a solid choice.
But... I'd use the 8 3/4. $800 is fair money if it's been completely gone thru and ready to bolt in. When I buy a used rear, its a used rear. If it's got stock parts but new gears, it's a used rear and about 100% cheaper than building one of your own but you'll have to hunt to find one with new axles and big bolt pattern. So look around. You should be able to find a solid casing and backing plates for under $200. I see them fairly regularly. Buy a chuck or build one, order new axles and bearings, replace the brakes, and stick it all together. I think the Ford rear is the cheapest option, but only because you have to fab and my time's worth something. The C body deal you can cut down, then you have brakes and everything. That might be the cheapest mopar option assuming you get usabl parts in it. Then you pay for shortening and axles but the intial buy, plus the axles and cutting will be more than the 8.8.

If you can't get a 8 3/4 get a 9" from a late 70's Lincoln. These are the same big heavy duty rear used in trucks and rancheros. If you get the Lincoln reared it should already have disc brakes on it and if I'm not mistaken those rotors are vented already not solid.

-
Back