8 3/4 posi

-

1971 scamp

Reaction score
Hi I have a question regarding 8 3/4 rear ends. Today I found a 8 3/4 rear end that appears to a posi unit, it is not the sure grip unit with clutches. I have never seen one like this before it is similar to an open carrier but has a different pin in it and I'm pretty sure it a posi. Has anyone ever came across one of these. Allan

Hi I have a question regarding 8 3/4 rear ends. Today I found a 8 3/4 rear end that appears to a posi unit, it is not the sure grip unit with clutches. I have never seen one like this before it is similar to an open carrier but has a different pin in it and I'm pretty sure it a posi. Has anyone ever came across one of these. Allan

There are two types of suregrips. Clutch and the other is known as a cone type.

it sux that chevrolet took the coolest name for spinning both tires....sire grip sure doesn't sound as cool.

we have no idea what you are talking about....need some pix op.

also i think the very first suregrips were detroit lockers.

that's some good info,but i'm sure i read in an old book somewhere about a detroit locker being used in the very earliest 8.75 rears....i have a 4.10 that has a dl in it and it is a 983 or 985 housing and i think 58 ring gear.i pulled it out of an old truck...didn't look like it had been into as in no obvious signs,but it was old then too.

Here's a chart of the Mopar ones. The 8 3/4's have been around since 1957. Here is a great tech article about them: http://www.mymopar.com/Mopar8_75RearEndGuide.htm

-
Back