8 3/4 question?

-

naji408

Reaction score
If you have an 8 3/4 rear end, can you just swap the center-piece to make it posi(sure grip), or is there more to it?

If the center you are swapping into the housing has a suregrip unit installed already, you can just swap the 2 center sections and you are good to go!! Geof

Well the original unit doesn't...I want to put a sure grip, but is there more to it than just swapping?

...........U can just take out the peg leg and install ur unit.....take a back lash reading before so u can set it back the same........kim........

If you just want to change the "pumpkin"(gear unit) sure, just drop the driveshaft,
pull the axles out some(6") unbolt pumpkin and swap. Just make sure you have the
same yoke on the pumkins - think there are 2 different size yokes. And that's why I
bought a non sure grip 2.76 pumpkin for the street. The guy I bought the 2.76s off
of would drive the car to the strip with the high gears, and then swap to his 4.56 sure
grip to race with.

You can change the 3rd member to whatever gear ratio and sure grip or not. Just match the u-joint size. If you want to make your non- sure grip unit into a sure grip and keep your gears, you can change just the carrier section. You'll have to set the carrier bearing preload and gear backlash but that's not too difficult if you have the manual.

-
Back