8 3/4 Rear Disc Brakes

-

Brambles

Reaction score
My Dart already has the front BBP discs and the rear is a drum BBP 7 1/4 ( didn't think they existed?) I'm pieceing together a A-body 8 3/4, probably use yukon axles with BBP and want to upgrade the rear brakes. Discs will look better then drums IMO.

I've done a little reading and some guys have mentioned the Grand cherokee rear disc brakes, is this a direct bolt over or is there some foolin around to do? Does the E-brake hook up and work?

Are there other options for street cars?

I also have been sourcing bigger drums just incase I can't get a disc system together. I heard reference to some drums making it so you can't use some types of wheels, anyone got some info on this issue?

Thanks

Brambles

I have never heard of the Cherokee brakes swap. But it would be nice if it they were to bolt right up. There are a couple companies that make adapters for a rear disk setup. Have tried looking into that? Its a cheaper route than buying the kits.

I was thinking using Ford Exploder discs. I have an 8.8 that I could steal from. Just a thought.

well its easy enough to figure out that the 8 3/4 has one more mounthing stud at the bottom of the housing for the backing plates, thats the only difference between the two! if a guy couldnt figure that out then they shouldnt really be working on a brake system anyway. sorry Brambles just trying to help, but some people are here just to correct and criticize! dont they have anything better to do?

I think we are confusing an 8 1/4 with his 8 3/4

I don't think he was criticizing. He was just pointing out that there was an error.

When I first saw that Wilwood came out with their disc kit for the 8 3/4, I wrote them and asked if it would just bolt onto an 8 1/4 without the centre bolt. They said no, it wasn't that easy and wouldn't bolt on. I never did try it even though I bought a kit for an 8 3/4 and I have a spare 8 1/4.

Dam I should get my *** out there and try it for you guys.

No criticism intended. If we all knew everything about our cars we wouldn't need this forum to ask questions. I for one didn't know about the minimal differences between 8 3/4 and 8 1/4, but that doesn't warrant calling us stupid. The fun of learning shouldn't be overshadowed by being afraid to tackle a new project.
Bruce

v8 i think your response was unwarented and uncalled for. No one was criticizing you, just making a clarifacation. Just because you can do something to a 8 1/4 doesnt mean it will always work with a 8 3/4.

Here is my 8 3/4 with disk brakes.

Rear%20(1).jpg

Rear%20(2).jpg

Rear%20(3).jpg

Rear%20(4).jpg

where did you get that disc brake setup? very interesting :-D i was thinking of looking into this for a future project too, just need a rearend first :read2:

OK, speedyb-cc sorry for getting out of hand maybe its just me but it does seem like there are a couple people on this form that act this way, i guess i just got a chance to call out on it and got carried away. i didnt call anyone stupid or want anyone to think so, Apologies to all i offended in anyway! ...........Apologies accepted?

OK, speedyb-cc sorry for getting out of hand maybe its just me but it does seem like there are a couple people on this form that act this way, i guess i just got a chance to call out on it and got carried away. i didnt call anyone stupid or want anyone to think so, Apologies to all i offended in anyway! ...........Apologies accepted?

Good man, Takes a bigger man to jump in and make a apologie when something goes wrong. Bravo! Now doesnt that put a smile on your face?:-D

Doctor Diff offers the best rear disc brake setup for the 8 3/4 rear end. Baer has a pretty good kit also. There are a bunch of other kits out there that I wouldn't use if they were given to me.

Doctor Diff offers the best rear disc brake setup for the 8 3/4 rear end. Baer has a pretty good kit also. There are a bunch of other kits out there that I wouldn't use if they were given to me.

Doesn't the Baer kit use a Corvette ('88?) rear brake rotor, and like a '90 Camaro caliper?

I like Dr Diff's brake setup! Mustang brakes would be plentifull and easy to get parts for. As would the Scarebird one.

The biggest problem with a lot of the rear brake kits is that they use too large of a piston. With a big rear piston you have to run a huge front piston and then a big master cylinder. If you use a big rear piston with a small front piston you'll end up with a rear bias that you can't fix. The car will spin if you lock the brakes.

The biggest problem with a lot of the rear brake kits is that they use too large of a piston. With a big rear piston you have to run a huge front piston and then a big master cylinder. If you use a big rear piston with a small front piston you'll end up with a rear bias that you can't fix. The car will spin if you lock the brakes.

Which kits would you be reffering to? It makes sence to me,what you said about big rear brakes and small fronts. Im using stock Kelsey hayes 4 piston sbp brakes up front. Possible use Mustang rotors there to get the bbp but thats the only mod.Im thinking the mustang brakes should be fine for this setup.

-
Back