8 3/4 rear end info needed

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm looking at an 8 3/4 A body rear end with moser Axels, setup for green bearings, big bolt pattern 4.5 this rear end is not assembled but is brand new never been used. Is this worth $600? I am looking to put this in my 71 dodge dart swinger. Anyone have useful info on this rear end for me? Good or bad deal? Wat are spme questions i should be asking the seller? What should I be looking for when I go check this part out? Thanks y'all!

If it's got a pumpkin it's likely worth it.

What gearset comes with it, sure grip or open?

a center chunk that holds whatever gear ratio you choise!
still a good deal even without a chunk. the axles are like 300 by themselves

The center section that houses the gears in an 8.75 rearend. The numbers on the side of the center section should read 741 or 742 or 489. Post a picture if you want.

I see. Thanks. Any advice on what to ask the seller when I go look at this tomorrow?

I know it's an 8 3/4 by looking at the housing. It definitely has the round rear end gear casing. I'm not sure what it is missing if anything though because it is all apart and I have never seen a rear end completely disassembled before? Can you guys tell me what pieces are needed for a complete rear end?

Rearend housing, Axles, Brakes, shock mounts, Center section, the brake line T. Maybe leaf spring depending on the person/seller. Do you have a picture of the stuff already? If so post it up and we'll point out what is missing.

Here you go. This is complete, minus brakes and backing plates. You can google this and get a bigger shot.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 140
You'll need gears for the center section and it looks like it comes with a cone type sure grip unit. You'll need to know how long are the axles to determine which brakes you'll need. Gaskets and brake lines, maybe some misc bearing.

Thanks guys. That picture really helps.

Unless you have lots of cash that rear end is going to cost you a lot of money by the time you have somebody assemble it and get the seals and anything else that it may need. You'll be in to it for double the $600

Looks like a nice housing and axles but if your on a budget like most of us. I think there are better deals to be had on a assembled unit..

Hmmm I see I'll have to think about it then. Didn't realize how much more the rear end needed and costs to be ready to install in my dart. Thanks y'all!

Well worth it if you ask me. Those axles aren't cheap. That does look like it's likely a sure grip. if it's a sure grip and it's included in the sale. your going to walk away a winner.

Call me dumb but what's a sure grip? I've heard it said before but I don't know what it means?

OK, I was looking at that not too long ago. I believe it is just the axles, bearings and housing. The center chunk and sure grip in the picture I believe he was selling seperate, but re-check. That is not a bad price for those items, however you will need to buy/obtain a few other things I dont see in the picture such as:

Center chunk (741/742/489) ($100) 489 most desireable 741 least, but all work
Gears: easier to find 489, next easier are the 742 and the most difficult are 741 ($100)
Sure-grip (AKA by GM guys = posi- spins both wheels) or one leg center(free to $350)
small parts to assemble and bearings ($120)
brake lines ($40)
center brake breather ($40
brakes - would recommend summit brand discs for about $500 or you can find drums around $120

and unless you are skilled in assembly a person to put it together. $50 to $100

I live in the same general market as you and these are about the prices I see, unless you are lucky, have a great point of contact or....

Recommendation - There are a few Mopar shows in the area, wait and go to the swap meets, be early and have cash. You can find a complete one for an A bodie for about $500 +/-. Dirty and used, but will work well unless you have other objectives.

I have a 741 chunk with 2:94's, sure grip B Body 8 3/4 with A body pads, axles and brakes. Would be selling all for $550, but you still have to get some of the other parts outlined. PM if intersted

Hmmm I see I'll have to think about it then. Didn't realize how much more the rear end needed and costs to be ready to install in my dart. Thanks y'all!

If it has everything! Brakes, Bearing and Shim kit for center section, Seals, Shock Plates, U bolts, Gears, you might find someone to set up the gears for a $200 but I don't see any of those items I mentioned. There maybe other stuff needed to.

Thanks for all the info. I will probably hold off because it's obviously over my knowledge base and I can always look at the swap meets. I don't need the rear end immediately anyways but thought that I'd ask y'all to see if it was a good buy or not..... I'll go look at it just to make sure it isn't something more than the pics show.

-
Back