8-3/4 rear end info!

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
hey, I'm looking at buying a 52' dodge pickup, and it has a 741 8-3/4. this truck has been messed with it's whole life, But the info on the rear end the man gave me was 53" or 54" axle housing width, and he said it had a 5-3/4 bolt pattern,,,,,, this sounded pretty stupid to me, so I asked him again to measure it from opposet lugs, and he said 4-3/4, so I'm just gonna assume it's a larg bolt pattern,, what does this sound like to yall? is it an a body rear w/larg bolt pattern? thanks guys

okay, well I'm just thinking,, he may even be off so much that it's a 4" bolt pattern. anyway, thanks guys, I'll see this week end. BTW a slant six+4 speed, and 8-3/4 truck for $150,, sound like a deal to anyone else? lol

hell yeah!

Attachments

• a.b 099.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 362
  • ramcharger 067 (Large).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 288
Looks like its sitting on a later truck frame, that's definitely not a stock '52 front frame clip.

yes mines sitting on a 4x4 ramcharger chassis. This is how I know an a rear is too narrow.

It could also still be the stock rear end under the truck.

If so, it wouldn't be an 8.75", but it's close and looks very similar, has small bolt pattern and is a banjo style (front load chunk) axle. Think of it as the predecessor to the 8.75"

edit, just for clarification. our 4.5" large bolt pattern is actually a small bolt pattern when you're talking about dodge trucks. The large bolt pattern for trucks is 5 on 5.5

It could also still be the stock rear end under the truck.

If so, it wouldn't be an 8.75", but it's close and looks very similar, has small bolt pattern and is a banjo style (front load chunk) axle. Think of it as the predecessor to the 8.75"

edit, just for clarification. our 4.5" large bolt pattern is actually a small bolt pattern when you're talking about dodge trucks. The large bolt pattern for trucks is 5 on 5.5

Not if it has a 741 carrier in it, that would mean its an 8 3/4. The rear ends do look very similar, with a removable carrier and the same smooth, welded cover. But the ring gear isn't 8.75", and it would have the tapered axles with the drums retained by a large nut. Pattern is 5 on 4.5" for a '52 1/2 ton.

Since the front frame clip showing in that picture is definitely NOT a '52 Dodge frame, I wouldn't be surprised if it has the later 8 3/4 in there. Possibly a later Dodge truck frame that the body is sitting on.

If it's a large bolt pattern 8 3/4, it 4 1/2.
There are 4 different bolt patterns for 8 3/4 axle shafts depending on the year and model but A-body's only came in a 4" bolt pattern. It's possible that the OP's truck has a custom built rear too. The photos posted are from daredevil, not swingingdart.

yeah, thats not my truck. anyway I'm pretty sure it's a 8-3/4 because it does have the larg X and "741" castings. but I'm just wondering if this rear end could be an A body, he says end to end width is about 53" wouldn't that be a a body? I'm pretty sure it is. thanks guys! I really like how there's a bunch of guys on here ready to answer questions for other people! thanks!

-
Back