8 3/4 Rear question...

-

Island67DartGT

Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 rear housing from a 71 Challenger. Bare, no 3rd member or axles. Paid $100 CDN for it. I also picked up a pair of original A Body axles that came from a 68 Dart GT. Paid $150 CDN for the pair, complete with bearings. These axles are drilled with both 4 in. and 4.5 in. bolt patterns. I know I need to have the housing shortened and spring perches moved inboard.
What is the exact measurement needed for shortening this E Body housing? Flange to Flange (meaning, where axles and backing plate mount) I know the spring perch distance is 43 inches. But not sure on the Mounting Flange to Mounting Flange distance. From what I've read, I can't rely on measurements from the original 7 1/4 rear end as it seems different from mounting flange to mounting flange. Also will the E Body perches fit my spring center pin? Or will they need to be plugged and drilled to 1/2 inch diameter?
Once done, this will be going into my 67 Dart GT to replace the stock 7 1/4 rear. Also would like to know what backing plates from what year and make of car will work to convert to at least 10" x 2 1/2" drum brake setup? Maybe 11" once I find some 15" rims.

This should help

Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-41-54.png

Still looking for what backing plates from what car or truck model and year would work. Not easy finding parts on the island.

Will need the 8 3/4 backing plates. Even if 10 " brakes on 7 1/4 backing plates will not work. On 10" 8 3/4 backing plates believe you will need specific ones for running either sb pattern axles or bbp axles. Think the depth/thickness of the plate is slightly different.
Sure others will chime in.

52 and 5/8ths in the chart from Moparts linked above is correct. The 51.4 measurement listed in the chart that 72dart6pack provided is INcorrect

Burn that fricken chart in post #2. Biggest POS wrong info about mopar rear axles on the internet!

The Moparts one is correct. 52.625" flange to flange. The pumpkin is centered, no offset of the axle tubes.

If the axles are factory pieces, you NEED the SBP 10x1.75 drums and backing plates.

Burn that fricken chart in post #2. Biggest POS wrong info about mopar rear axles on the internet!

The Moparts one is correct. 52.625" flange to flange. The pumpkin is centered, no offset of the axle tubes.

If the axles are factory pieces, you NEED the SBP 10x1.75 drums and backing plates.

** The axles are factory A Body from a 68 Dart. But are drilled with both 4" & 4.5" bolt patterns. I plan to go to the 4.5" BP. I was using Dr. Diff's rear end & axle calculator to try and figure out things utilizing 10" x 2 1/2" brakes. I think its best to order the complete brake set up from Dr. Diff. Even though it will be costlier for me. Canada & US relations may be good, but there is no Free Trade from US to Canada. Our government here (Canada) screws us on Duty and taxes when ordering parts from the US. :(

Good luck with it. Make sure you tell Cass exactly what you have, because what you THINK you need may not work.

** The axles are factory A Body from a 68 Dart. But are drilled with both 4" & 4.5" bolt patterns. I plan to go to the 4.5" BP. I was using Dr. Diff's rear end & axle calculator to try and figure out things utilizing 10" x 2 1/2" brakes. I think its best to order the complete brake set up from Dr. Diff. Even though it will be costlier for me. Canada & US relations may be good, but there is no Free Trade from US to Canada. Our government here (Canada) screws us on Duty and taxes when ordering parts from the US. :(

Used auto parts from the US are duty-free .

-
Back