8 3/4 rearend center section cradle

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
I am looking to see what other people do for a cradle for the center section in their 8 3/4 rear when they change center section. I am using a floor jack and holding the center section on the jack by hand. That works ( just), but there most be a better way! let me see what I should be using. I now have two center section that I will be changing from time to time so I am looking to find a better way!

I always slip one leg of an exhaustpipe-clamp through one of the upper bolt-holes on the 3rd member, put a nut on it and use it as a handle to lift/swing/wrestle/fight the 3rd member upon the 4' high transmission-jack.
Then use the transmission jack to move the 3rd-member higher for the car which is ready and waiting on the carlift :)

Your talking about a tool to help hold the 3rd member in and out?
Heck, I just drag it over on cardboard and muscle it in.

when i pull them i usually just pull all the nuts off and let it drop on my face/fingers/chest and commence with the vulgarity. when installing I jack up the car and drag it under on a board/chunk of carpet/one of the wife's good towels, etc. I find that they never line up until you politely ask it to "just get the fu*k in there you hunk of sh#t".

-
Back