8 3/4 rebuild costs....

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Just wondering what the expected cost would be for an 8 3/4 rebuild? I am going to send a standard 8 3/4 and upgrade to sure grip and new gears. Just curious what others have been charged for similar rebuilds.

It all depends on what you mean by rebuild?Just the center-section or the whole housing also.Bearings,seals,rebuilt sure-grip,brakes??Need more info.

Going to tear down to bare housing, vat the housing, then complete rebuild with new gears, bearings and all. I am buying LBP axles adding sure grip and a disc brake set-up as well. Just mainly curious what labor would be.

If you were close by it would cost you a 12 pack of MGD and if you felt like you were getting a deal you could throw in a bottle of Kesslers. Bring the parts and a good day and we'd have her done. If you're buying a Sure Grip unit go ahead and buy an Eaton Tru Trac gear drive. Very nice and you wont have any issues with it.
Small Block

If you were close by it would cost you a 12 pack of MGD and if you felt like you were getting a deal you could throw in a bottle of Kesslers. Bring the parts and a good day and we'd have her done. If you're buying a Sure Grip unit go ahead and buy an Eaton Tru Trac gear drive. Very nice and you wont have any issues with it.
Small Block

Wow smallblock almost makes me wanna move to MO!!

hhmmm...how far is Missouri?? lol

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eaton unit. I will look into that.

Had mine done a couple years ago. Cost me about $1600 total for parts and labor. This included Detroit True-Trac, new Richmond 3.91 ring and pinion, New bearings, seals and Larger Yoke, u-joints, and gear oil. Hope this helps.

Wish I could have done it for a case of Beer. ummmm beeeeeer

on my third member, i had my engine builder regear my sure grip. it involved getting new clutches and also the new gears plus new yoke. so i think in all it was about $500-$600

I'm trying to shoot for a much lower price as I assemble my rear end. I figure that it shouldn't be that hard if I get the green bearings installed. I SHOULD just be able to bolt everything up being that I have the housing, the axles, the third member, backing plates, and brakes. We'll see how it goes.

The shop called today, they tore it down and are cleaning the housing and all the parts overnight. Just need to decide on the gears (probably 3.55's) and figure out what LBP axles and suregrip type unit to order. Also they asked if I wanted to leave the large yoke set up in? I need to research and figure out that. I want it built so I can put some sticky tires on and have some fun once in a blue moon and not worry about it.

Well here is the info from the shop working on my 8 3/4 using my 3rd member....

For a pumpkin with an Auburn Posi, Yukon Gears, a complete installation kit, and assembly - $1043.78, plus tax & freight.

For a pumpkin with a Detroit True Trac, Yukon Gears, a complete installation kit, and assembly - $1193.86, plus tax & freight.

What was quoted is the assembly of the pumpkin. As for Green bearings, they usually run about $60-70 apiece and an hour to install them on the axles

Any suggestions?

Well here is the info from the shop working on my 8 3/4 using my 3rd member....

For a pumpkin with an Auburn Posi, Yukon Gears, a complete installation kit, and assembly - $1043.78, plus tax & freight.

For a pumpkin with a Detroit True Trac, Yukon Gears, a complete installation kit, and assembly - $1193.86, plus tax & freight.

What was quoted is the assembly of the pumpkin. As for Green bearings, they usually run about $60-70 apiece and an hour to install them on the axles

Any suggestions?

Heres how i did mine.. Mancini built my 489 center section..using a "new" nodular housing,4.30 gears,spool, bearings..ect for $895.00..i bought my axles from Moser $419.00 with green bearings installed and installed it all into the housing myself..

In talking with the shop, they liked the Auburn setup so that is the way I went. I do plan to run some 17 wheels as well as some 15 with DOT drag slicks from time to time. Should I go with 3" studs or the standard 1 1/2?

-
Back