8-3/4 Sure Grip (cone Type) --VALUE ?--

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys, I may sell my 8-3/4 SG rear. Its the cone type. (741) ? Think thats correct.
373 gears, Original A-body rear, small bolt pattern.

I am wondering what its worth. I know it needs to be rebuilt.

Whatcha think?

Ill post it in the Classifieds if its worth selling.
If any of you are inclined to PM, if sold, it will be shipped from 23502

I know what I gave for it, and it was a decent price at 350.00

Oh and its in my car at the moment, so.. its not going anywhere soon.

This is the whole rear end or just the center section?

If its the whole rear end, $350 is a smoking price. Usually around here an original A body rear is well north of $500.00.

If its just the center section that's a fair price if its in good shape IMO.

Its in my Valiant, I know its an A-body rear! LOL flange to flange is what ever it nees to be. Isnt it 58-1/2 or 5/8 or something like that?

I bought an A body 8 3/4 housing, axles, and brake parts for $150, and a chunk non posi for 75. It's only worth what someone will pay and too bad people are paying $500 for an axle. Keeps driving the cost of parts through the roof!

Anyone else have input on this?

67Dart, While I agree with you on that... You should consider yourself lucky! LOL That is cheap!

I know that a non working limited slip chunk costs about $500 to fix.
At least that is what I am told.

It really depends on how bad it is. If it's totally trashed it's not worth nearly as much as if it just needs a basic rebuild. Nevertheless a complete rear is worth at least $400 in my opinion. Again depends on the actual condition to say for sure. Can you post some pics?

Well I have a feeling that this is a carrier bearing that is making racket. I have "lost" a few rear difs before and its def. a bearing!
As far as the history of this rear goes, I have no idea, I have had it in the Valiant for about 2 years now, and just started driving it this spring on a normal basis.
Because I have other plans, I dont have a need for this rear. Ill need to sell this one in order to fund the other rear dif project. If and when I sell, it will be after I can pull it out, measure, and mock everything up on the other rear. Then Ill be willing to part with it.

I paid 325 for an absolutely complete 70 Dart 8 3/4 complete down to the lug nuts and with e brake cables and the drums had enough meat for a cut and still within limits. It has original style cone wheel bearings that were in great condition. It had a 3.23 single that needed a new ring gear but everything else looked good. That was after searching for over a year for a good deal.
I found a 742 suregrip unit 3.91 for $250 that I got from another member who said that it was making funny noises and that was why it was cheap. It turns out after disassembly that it was in perfect working order and I am assuming that he didn't have suregrip additive in it and it was snapping and crackling. So.... new brakes, wheel cylinders, hardware, gaskets, oil etc. for $825 I have an excellent working reconditioned complete rearend. Last time I priced a complete 3.91 sure grip remanfactured from Randys Ring and Pinion it was almost 1000 plus shipping. As far as rebuilding a suregrip from scratch, I was prepared to get all the parts to do the 3.91 and found all the parts for about 250 and my guy who builds rears will do an 8 3/4 for 100 bucks. If your'e NOT IN A HURRY and are willing to do a lot of searching and make lots of calls you CAN still find deals.

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys. Ill decide exactly what Im going to do, and then go from there. There rear is by no means destroyed. I heard the bearing noise, had it out a few times and then said the heck with destroying the rear or getting stuck somewhere... "Im not driving it til' its fixed!" So I stopped before I did any real harm.
Ill keep ya posted on whether it sells or not and Ill be sure to post here when it goes (if it goes) up for sale. I found an open carrier same gears for a good price in good "runable" condition. I may pay to buy it and sell it with the package. So atleast its usable right away. We shall see what happens!

OK update!!!! I went ahead and decided to keep the 8 3/4 for the time being. I was able to get an open carrier in good shape, same gears, for 75.00! This will be a quick fix and have me back on the road in a days worth of work.
Now, whether I sell the Sure Grip Carrier is a whole different story! LOL Or I may keep it, and sell the whole thing as a package deal, after I have the new rear ready to install.
Ill keep yall' posted

Guess I was too excited when I put the SG rear in my car a few years back! I was incorrect in saying it was a cone type. It is in fact a 489 case and actually has 3:23 gears.
I pulled it tonight and after the discovery that it is the 489 and the fact that it is the pinion bearing that is shot. I plan to keep it, repair it, and install it again. Id be dumb to get rid of it at this point!

-
Back