8 3/4 vs Dana 60

-
No, I said I can spot BS. Evidently you can't read.

But I'm not calling you a bad reader! :notworth:

So now we both can't read we must both be products of public schools :book:

Can we both agree this is getting out of hand. Come on we have at least two things in common:
(1) We both have Mopars
(2) We both can't stand me

Oh, come on, the #2 thing was a joke, laugh damn it!

Chuck

:salut: No prob here. I can't stand me either.

Sometimes I get too keyed into something when I should just let it go, especialy when it's not really important to me, personally.

A lot of this stuff is kind of like religion. It is all dependant on whom you talk to, you have your beliefs and I have mine and according to whom we talked to it's the gospel truth. Neither one of us is going to convert. We just need to respect what the other person believes in and has to offer. It just took us a little longer to figure that out. :thumblef:

SO... 8 3/4 or Dana 60... your thoughs? just kidding! :)

Be Cool!
Chuck

Ok, well I never thought I would see drama in here like that.... at each others throat then kissing and making up after a few tears. How cute is that people? Well let me reply to all of these messages now.

First off to DeadEndKid... The rearend is a Dana 60 not a 70 from my point of veiw. There is a "60" on the right hand side of the housing so thats why I am saying its a Dana 60. If for some reason it is a Dana 70 can someone explain why Dodge put a 60 on the housing hahaha.

To Ace and 340mopar... So happy that you to have made up today and I am glad for the free soap opera. Thank you 340mopar for remembering I want to go road racing. I do want it to be able to handle a little bit of drag racing. I mean like take it out once a month and run the crap out of it about 5 times at the track you know? Nothing much just a little bit. Plus BIG BURNOUTS since no muscle car is complete with out that ability. Does anyone happen to know how much it is to shorten the Dana 60 to fit my car would be? That would be alot of help since money is always an object.

This is what I want to do with my car. A mainly road racing car but the ability to run at the drag strip and handle the abuse of burning out and having lots of fun with the car. But I really want that ability to go around a turn going 90mph when the sign says 45mph hahaha. Not that fast but I want it to handle is all.

Thank you everyone and remember MOPAR OR NO CAR!

You didn't get any on you did ya? Man the fur was flying for a little while there huh? Thats what sucks the most about being human; making mistakes.

Sorry to screw up your question/thread so much!

Chuck

Thanks for the help but try and keep the drama out of my threads please... thats what god made Private Messages for hahaha. So which is it guys and gals... 8 3/4 or Dana 60?

Its is really only a question of how you want to spend your money. Either one will work fine. They both have certain pros and cons in this application. Unless it is a single-purpose-built car, there is ALWAYS going to be some compromise, no matter what you use or how much you spend.

You already have the Dana, so why not just use that? Unless I missed something and the car already has a 8 3/4 under it?

I believe in thoroughness as well but damn, this sounds like a bunch of old ladies going at it. Relax gents it will all work out for him I'm sure.

Ace and I realized that we went a little far. If you read all of our threads (Ace & mine) all is good now.

Ok thank you all. I was thinking of just using the Dana 60 because I already have it and all so why buy a new one you know. The car only has the 7 1/4 and I wouldn't even try to put 250 horsepower on that hahaha. Well thank you all again and I will keep u up dated with pictures and forums on the rearend and total car. Remember MOPAR OR NO CAR and thanks again!

you can look at it this way, a dana 60 will still be there ,long after many broken 8 3/4 rear ends. car weight has more to do with life of the rear end.
some super comp dragsters use 8 3/4 ,but has no weight. so it lives. a passenger type car will be a lot harder on it. I use to run 8 3/4 rear ends. broke a few of them. went to a dana 60, in a 3400 # clutch car, has been in use since 1992, 16 years # 100 + runs per year. if you want a light weight dana 60 housing, look under any 67 to 72 1/2 ford pickups. they had passenger car ends and axles in them, plus, were 30 spline like a 8 3/4 axle.
weight difference, 32 #.

I ran a Dana 60, 9 3/4" behind a 440 dual 4 bbl, 4 speed in a 69 Super Bee and that rear end was damn near indestructible (I know I tried). That puppy would hook up and damn near lift the front tires off the ground and that rear would do it all day long. I have my doubts if the 8 3/4 that dodge also put behind the 440's would have survived and I was pulling between 700 and 750 HP. :burnout:

I have a dana 60 in my duster and had one in my dart . they are very good all day long all year long.

if you go to www.bigblockdart.com bill had a chart that tells you how long it has to or can be. but i just seen how long mine was and went of that. got 28x11.5x15 on her with no cutting at all. I have got about $700.00 dollors in mine that with shorting the housing new 8 3/4 ends new axles an spool all strange stuff.

-
Back