8.75 3rd member Rebuild

-

blown71duster

Reaction score
Installing new ring and pinion 4:10 gears and new Eaton trutrac limited slip differential, thought I would take some pictures during the build.

Using a "489" case:

Installed the ring gear on the differential, These are left handed threads-Torque to 55 ft lbs:

Used the press to install the carrier bearings:

Made a set up bearing out of the old pinion bearing, Not shown I used a clamshell style bearing remover , which can remove bearings without damage. Using a Dremel with a sanding roll. Took just enough to allow it to slip on and off while I checked pinion gear depth;

I chose to use the Solid pinion spacer to replace the factory crush sleeve:

I measured the stock crush sleeve to determine what length the solid spacer needed to be, use the shims provided with the kit to set the pinion bearing preload:

Use an Inch pound torque wrench to check rotating torque,FSM spec for new bearings is 20-30 inch pounds:

Use the shims for setting pinion bearing preload and pinion gear depth :

Set the pinion gear depth, depth spec for this is 2.773 inches:

To determine the exact pinion depth I used a T&D pinion depth checker :

The T&D tool uses a dial indicator used with a specific extension and magnetic plate to check depth:

You get your measurement to the top of the pinion gear,shown is my measurement of .602 . You then subtract from their pre- determined spec of 3.375". Which is distance of the recommended 2.773"

Once the shims are figured out then the new bearing gets pressed on:

Torque with a new pinion nut, used a yoke flange holding tool:

Install the sure grip unit, Trutrac with the new bearings on it and install the adjusters:

Using the spanner wrench tighten the carrier bearings. Tighten just one of the bolts on each bearing cap at 85-90 to set the backlash:

Use a dial indicator to set the backlash fsm spec is .006-.010" "

Check this spec at 4 places :

Once you get the backlash set , torque both main caps to 85-90 ft lbs. Then apply your gear marking compound and check that your gear patterns are good:

Thanks for the great info. Being a total newbie when it comes to center sections. Could you please explain more about setting backlash? I see the guage set up, just not sure were the measurement .006-.010 come from. Thank you again. Carl

Thanks for the great info. Being a total newbie when it comes to center sections. Could you please explain more about setting backlash? I see the guage set up, just not sure were the measurement .006-.010 come from. Thank you again. Carl

Setting the backlash, Chrysler service manual wants you to torque one of the main cap bolts 85-90 lbs. on each cap. Then rotate both the adjusters in to get a .0005-.0015 " backlash. Backlash is measured with the dial indicator on the ring gear. You move the ring gear back and forth against the pinion gear and The dial indicator will show you your backlash in .001 segments.
You then want to tighten ,turn the adjuster clockwise with a spanner wrench , the bearing on the ring gears tooth side until you have your .006-.010" backlash. This also sets your carrier bearing preload.

-
Back