8.75 diff - metal in oil (pictures). Is it ruined?

-
I don't know what you got going on with the axle end. Wrong axle bearings? Post a picture of the axle wheel bearing so we will know what kind of bearings you have. But that looks like the source of your metal.

Here you go.

15.jpg

16.jpg

the bearings were checked out by another diff builder and I was told they were fine.

That is the Green style bearings. I thought you may have been using the stock taper bearing without the use of a thrust block on the cross shaft in the sure grip. But no your good. The picture in post 72 I thought was of the axle housing end. I realize now it was of the center where the third member goes in. That grind mark is normal and in all 8 3/4 housings for ring gear clearance. I'm still baffled as to where all the metal came from?

Is that a line-up tube inside the main tube? As in a support work for the width adjustment?
As to the clocking of the bearing houses that's not a big deal.
As to the centering of the banjo between the perches, that can be a big deal, but if the current placement centers the flanges in the wheelhouses such that the tire to wheel lips are centered then no biggie
As to the perches being welded on correctly, the spring mounting surfaces should be on the same plane, in side view. I'm trying to think if a degree or two would be a problem but can't come up with anything. Too much, I can see pre-loading one of the springs, which might not be a good thing, with performance springs, especially if it is the wrong side,lol.

Last edited:
No idea Roy, :(
What do you think to the spring perches, the axle sits great in the car and the hangers are spot on.

AJ/FormS - I think it is where the new seat perches are welded on, not a line no.

Axle tubes are 'drawn'. The inside line can very well a tooling mark. Nothing to worry about.

I do think you can see however where this axle housing was shortened, near the perches.
As for the offset perches, maybe the car isn't square and a previous owner has correct the alignment by moving the perches.

yes the tyres were totally central.

I had someone do the minitub/axle shorten work. He tells me all of these cars are not square and this is quite normal. I'm getting the same from a lot of people I ask

Cool, thanks chaps.
Really grateful for all of your help with this one.

It is off to the diff builders Tuesday.

Cheers!

-
Back