8.75 it is, now i need to narrow it HELP

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi all

i posted a thread on here about the mopar 8.75 axle VS the ford explorer disc brake rear. well its settled i got an 8.75 from a 67 newport with a 742 center chunk 3.23 gears complete drum to drum for $100. price was always a consideration but trying to keep it mostly mopar was also. so when this one popped up with a 742 chunk i bought it.

so theres the big question, does anybody know where i can send the housing out to get it narrowed to a stock A body width, along with perches welded in. i can do the perches myself if need be, but the narrowing needs to be done with a jig to keep it all square.

plus what is the stock width for an 8.75 A body axle housing from backing plate flange to backing plate flange. i dont plan on narrowing the rear any less than stock width for an A body. i already have the perch width from the old axle at 43.25"

also what is the stock pinion angle for this setup in an A body if i have to put the perches in myself.

i plan on using new A body BBP axles with green bearings from mancini racing unless i can get my C body ones cut and resplined. anybody know where i can get the resplining done

can my drums, and backing plates from the 74 V8 dart parts car 7.25" axle be used on the 8.75" axle housing?? the mating flange looks like the same pattern, and the C body brakes look really too huge for the back end of the car.

if you want you can post here but also please email me privately at [email protected] as i am not on here often enough to get the posts.

thanks
matt

Where are you located? Moser gave me a quote of $110 to shorten a C body housing. The are located in IN, you can't go wrong with Moser! If you want it done right got to them, excellent customer service too. As long as your backing plates are 10" they will work, just tell the guy's at Moser what you want to use for backing plates, they know what will work.

A body flange to flange is 52 5/8"

Use the drums/backing plates you got with the rear.

Are the drums on the 7.25 rear 10" BBP? If they are you can use them. Might have to drill a 5th hole at the 6 o'clock position in the backing plate.

the 7.25 rear i have thats out of the74 dart is a BBP rear, 10 inch drums, and the backing plates are 5 hole and look like a direct bolt up, as their bolt up to flange pattern looks the same.

i measured the 74 dart V8 7.25" axle flange to flange and it was 51.50" and the drum width was 4.50"
i also measured the 67 cuda slant 6 7.25" axle flange to flange. it was 53.50" and its drum width was 3.0

i can only assume that with the wider drum brakes on each side on the V8 7.25" rear the axle, that the tube was made narrower than the /6 rear to keep the wheels at the same track width with the wider brakes. both of these rears are granny fresh, and dont show signs of being messed with, or swapped.

the previous post talking about moser doing a shorten on a c body rear sounds reasonable. i looked at their website, and didnt see anything about them offering this service. i guess i need to probably email or call them.

thanks
matt

Moser did mine and made the axels. I would also use the brakes that came
with the 8-3/4

Mine came from a C body also and it had 11" x 2-1/2" brakes.

-
Back