8.75 Pinion Snubber: Size and/or adjustable?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the 8.75 casings are typically the same size (741/489/742), so can anyone confirm that a stock pinion snubber from one fits the others? I have a 741.

Also, I *thought* I read somewhere that there's an adjustable snubber?

Yes they are the same. I think Mancini Racing still sells the adjustable pinion snubber.

Adjustable ones are aftermarket. Stock ones came in several sizes and shapes depending one which year and model the 3rd member came from. All the stock A-body ones are the same however.

Adjustable ones are aftermarket. Stock ones came in several sizes and shapes depending one which year and model the 3rd member came from. All the stock A-body ones are the same however.

That's pretty much what I thought, but wasn't certain. I'm also not sure how to tell which OEM one(s) were specific to Dart Sports/Dusters, so the adjustable one seems the best route for me, although part of me really wants to maintain certain OEM and stock components. It's not like anyone will see it, and I'm not going to the track, just showing up the occasional ricer kids we get out here in the boonies. :D

Check your clearance and measurements if you decide to go with the adjustable one. I put on on my 69 Dart and it was way too tall to fit. I pulled that one and installed a regular one to get some clearance.

I tried using just a pinion snubber for traction control on my '68 Barracuda and '70 'Cuda. I have a stick in the '70 and an automatic in the '68. When properly adjusted for each application, they made the rear suspension ride so stiff that it was unusable on the street. I believe they would be great on a smooth race track though. I just couldn't take the harsh ride characteristics unless the snubber was moved down nearly several inches making it ineffective in controlling spring wrap.

Both cars have significant spring wrap without the snubbers being right up to the floor board pad. I envisioned a remote control snubber that could be raised and lowered from inside the car with s switch, but never fabbed one iup.

I ended up using the old school slapper bars that I cut and welded to fit properly, that being positioning the front snubber under the front spring eye with no gap. I also cut the rubber snubber in half to reduce it's deflection under launch. Both cars launch, ride and handle better than any other suspension set-up I've tried since the early '80's.

slapper bar 5.jpeg

slapper bar 2.JPG

I tried using just a pinion snubber for traction control on my '68 Barracuda and '70 'Cuda. I have a stick in the '70 and an automatic in the '68. When properly adjusted for each application, they made the rear suspension ride so stiff that it was unusable on the street. I believe they would be great on a smooth race track though. I just couldn't take the harsh ride characteristics unless the snubber was moved down nearly several inches making it ineffective in controlling spring wrap.

Both cars have significant spring wrap without the snubbers being right up to the floor board pad. I envisioned a remote control snubber that could be raised and lowered from inside the car with s switch, but never fabbed one iup.

I ended up using the old school slapper bars that I cut and welded to fit properly, that being positioning the front snubber under the front spring eye with no gap. I also cut the rubber snubber in half to reduce it's deflection under launch. Both cars launch, ride and handle better than any other suspension set-up I've tried since the early '80's.

View attachment 1716019812

View attachment 1716019813

Do you remember where you got those bars?

View attachment 1716019812

View attachment 1716019813
i didnt care for my snubber with SS springs. im going with slapper bars also more for looks!

i didnt care for my snubber with SS springs. im going with slapper bars also more for looks!
I painted mine low-gloss black to make them less visible. Unlike the old school motorheads the overwhelming majority of people now days have no idea what they even do.

-
Back