8.75 questions

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and also new to Mopars. I just got a '73 Dart Sport. It has an 8.25 rear end with 2.76 gear and no sure grip. I can get a Dana sure grip set with 3.55 gears pretty reasonably. My brother says I am an idiot and to go with an 8.75 for strength, durability, gear options, and quick change out ability. I usually believe bigger is better, and he has good points, but is it really worth it? Should I stay with the 8.25 and change gears? And where would I find an 8.75 to drop in? What would be the best (read: easiest) rear end to get to drop right in. Plug and play is good. I am very mechanical, but I am not going to be cutting tubes. I'd appreciate any advice.

Well if the dana is plug and play go for it. If its already set up for a A body its perfect. The Dana is stronger and there are some good aftermarket ratios out there. As for the 8 3/4 unless you find one for an Abody it will most likely need cut down.. B body ones work but you have to run more back space depending on the tire.

It really depends on what you plan to do with the car, how much power, etc. How often do you plan on swapping ratios? Remember, the Dana is heavier in unsprung and rotating weight than the 8.75 which itself is heavier than the 8.25.

This winter it is getting a new engine. Would like a 440, but am leaning towards a 408 stroker for simplicity sake. Probably would be in the 400 - 450hp range. It all depends on how much cash I can save before winter. I need a rear end that will play together well. I have heard good things about the 8.25, so I am in no big hurry to change. If it needs changing, I will. As far as driving, it will be all street. I drive it for fun. I will probably rarely if ever change ratios. I am not sure if 3.55 is what I want, but that's as good as it gets locally. I imagine I could find performance parts online with better ratios, but I prefer local if possible.

Dana ......... Overkill.
8.25 will hang in there, but an 8.75 will be the best all around rear end
for what you want to do.

Dana is overkill? I am looking at the sure grip 3.55 complete for just over $500. If Dana is more than I need, then that is a good price, I think. Hmmmm .... ratio is the question. I can't go too low, because I will want to drive it on the highway from time to time, but I want head snap quickness as well. Maybe 3.55 will be good for me.

a little confused are you talking about the rear housing or just the
center chunk? sounds like you are wanting to put dana 3.55 in your 8.25
i saw a complete a-body 8.75 sure grip with brakes on craiglist in San Diego for under $500.maybe i'm just reading your thread wrong..

Truck Dana 60 with 8 bolt hubs? $500 is WAY too much.

You'll be in another $500+ getting car ends/axles/brakes for it.

To clarify, I am trying to decide if I should keep my 8.25 and install a Dana sure grip 3.55 gear set into it or if I should just replace the entire housing with an 8.75. And if I go with an 8.75 which one would require the least amount of fussing around to install.

You can,t put a Dana sure-grip in a 8.25 rear LOL.Look for an A-body or B-body complete 8 3/4 with sure-grip.Your 8.25 brakes can be swapped onto the 8 3/4 rear.

that 8.75 i was talking about is in Hemit not San Diego
$450. i don't know how to install link here but its a complete rear minus axles.......

-
Back