8.75 rear end 657 or 741?

-

Demonchild

Reaction score
Hello all I just got a 8.75 rear end and the numbers on the carrier are 1820657 so its a 657 it is 44.25 inchs spring perch to spring perch center and 51.5 inchs backing plate to backing plate is this for an a body? is it a good rear? it has no drums?

early b body is 59 inchs wide?even with 2.5 inch drums still only 56.5 inchs wide?

The spring perch measurement is for a B-body but the backing plate measurement is about right for and A-body. The 3rd member housing number is for a '57-60 model car so it was probably pieced together. What is the bolt pattern for the wheels? Maybe aftermarket ones? Be carefull it's not an early housing that uses the tapered axles. Those need a puller for the hub and drum assy's and are not the best design. You can use this housing in an A-body by moving the spring perches in an inch but check overall width for tire clearence.
Thanks, Mark

The spring perch measurement is for a B-body but the backing plate measurement is about right for and A-body. The 3rd member housing number is for a '57-60 model car so it was probably pieced together. What is the bolt pattern for the wheels? Maybe aftermarket ones? Be carefull it's not an early housing that uses the tapered axles. Those need a puller for the hub and drum assy's and are not the best design. You can use this housing in an A-body by moving the spring perches in an inch but check overall width for tire clearence.
Thanks, Mark
They are large bolt pattern but I dont see where you would need a puller to get the drums off?

i believe it was pieced together the guy swears it came out of a dart?

He may not have been lying cause it could be put in a Dart even if the perches are too wide. All you gotta do it pry the springs apart until their out far enough to bolt it in. Very stupid way to do it but I have heard of idiots doing it. Needless to say that's not how to do it.

will any third member work with this housing or just 741 ? I need drums for it etc ?

third members interchange in all 8.75's

Nothing wrong with a 657 case.

third members interchange in all 8.75's

Nothing wrong with a 657 case.
Not completely true.....they will all bolt into the housing but there are some interchange problems. If you're swapping between a sure grip and non-sure grip, the axle lengths are different by about an 1/8 of an inch. It's fairly easy to lop off an 1/8 but adding it on is more of a problem. If it's an early housing the end play has to be set with shims which are a pain also. If it's the later flanged type axle shaft, it's just a matter of turning the adjuster on the RH bearing retainer but there is not enough adjustment to make up 1/4" on either type. The 741, 742, and 489 used just about the same thickness center spacer on all their applications so those carriers are not an issue.....just the earlier ones.

-
Back