8.75 SBP brake options?

-

Radarsonwheels

Reaction score
I have a '72 demon with small bolt pattern wheels on stock axles with stock style bearings. I already spend a bunch of money installing a small bolt scarebird front brake setup (like it!)along with wheel vintiques 15"x8" and new 275/60 BFG tires, so I don't want to go big bolt pattern now.

I currently have the narrow a-body 10" drums on the rear-the ones with the 'skirts'. New drums are getting pretty scarce, so I would like to switch to a different brake setup. I am not afraid of piecing stuff together or re-drilling the small bolt pattern onto different rotors, but I also don't have a problem going with a different drum setup if it doesn't hit the backing plate.

Oh yeah- I need it to be cheap!!

Some ideas I'm wondering about:
-small bolt 7.25" drums and backing plates
- do they swap right over or close on the 8.75"?

-jeep/ford stuff with custom brackets and redrilled rotors
-I know the wheel will go outboard the thickness of the rotor

Thanks!
radar

The 10" small bolt pattern drums were the same from '65 to '72 regardless of rear ends. So were the shoes and hardware (as a set). The only things really different are the backing plates. Oh, and by the way, your car is not a '72 Demon......at least not the one you posted with your request.

The 10" small bolt pattern drums were the same from '65 to '72 regardless of rear ends. So were the shoes and hardware (as a set). The only things really different are the backing plates. Oh, and by the way, your car is not a '72 Demon......at least not the one you posted with your request.

Wow one of my first posts on here and I get talked down to. What's next- you gonna scold me for ending a sentence in a preposition? The picture is my 73 swinger- not my 72 demon. The swinger already got upgraded to big bolt discs with a matching ford rear. I also did a disc brake swap on my 1954 c-series pickup. That doesn't match the picture either- will you be able to picture it using only your imagination? Are you also a detective at work or just on the Internet?

To simplify my question in case anyone intelligent reads it and my first post was not concise enough: I have a small bolt pattern A-body 8.75" rear. The narrow drums are hard to find and big money. I am looking for cheap solutions for the day when my drums don't have the meat to be turned again. I would not mind a drum swap if I can get shelf parts and give them a little love. A cheap disc swap would be fine too. I'm not looking for awesome performance, just parts availability. Maybe I should just sell the whole axle and build a dana60 but it's an original H-code demon and the banjo rear is so cool!

Oh and by the way my swinger was originally a /6 225 car with small bolt pattern wheels and 10" drums all around. The drums on the back looked nothing like the ones on the demon. The demon's drums have a bell-flare around the edge where the swinger's drums looked normal. The demon has the 8.75" rear and the swinger had a 7 1/4" rear.

So even the info you wrote is wrong. Did you see my 17"'rims on the swinger and assume I was 17 living at my parents house with tupac posters in my room? Re-read the original post- do those look like wheel vintiques 15x8 rims with 275/60 BFGs on the rear?

For anybody else reading this I apologize for any hostility and hope it entertains you. The original post was getting stale with no answers so I was excited to see a response. The non helpful misinformation wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't for the guy's condescending commentary on my sig picture.

Suck eggs cuda mark.

Oh and by the way my swinger was originally a /6 225 car with small bolt pattern wheels and 10" drums all around. The drums on the back looked nothing like the ones on the demon. The demon's drums have a bell-flare around the edge where the swinger's drums looked normal. The demon has the 8.75" rear and the swinger had a 7 1/4" rear.

So even the info you wrote is wrong. Did you see my 17"'rims on the swinger and assume I was 17 living at my parents house with tupac posters in my room? Re-read the original post- do those look like wheel vintiques 15x8 rims with 275/60 BFGs on the rear?

For anybody else reading this I apologize for any hostility and hope it entertains you. The original post was getting stale with no answers so I was excited to see a response. The non helpful misinformation wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't for the guy's condescending commentary on my sig picture.

Suck eggs cuda mark.

I am not entering this pissing contest but just adding some information to the thread.
The drums do interchange with and without the bells. They are out there new at a decent price if you know how and where to look.

I am not entering this pissing contest but just adding some information to the thread.
The drums do interchange with and without the bells. They are out there new at a decent price if you know how and where to look.

How and where do I look?

8-3/4 10" drums and 7-1/4 small bolt 10" drums do interchange
the 8-3/4 had the flare on them and are hard to find and are expensive
the 7-1/4 small bolt 10" drums do not have the flair, but they are common and will work just fine

rockauto.com has them new for $66.79 each
wagner part # BD60123

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

P.S. I did not find cudamarks reply to be out of line?
and his info was correct, all small bolt 10" drums are the same
the ones with the skirt came on 8-3/4 rears but they are the same as the ones that came on 7-1/4 rears without the skirt

you may also try an add in the "parts wanted" section as a lot of people scrap 7-1/4" rears when doing big bolt conversions, so you may find some cheap 10" drums off one

Thanks caferacerx, I thought I was giving out information that he would want but I guess not. I've found the skirted rear drums on late '70-72 A-bodies with both rear ends but only the non-skirted ones earlier and as a replacement drum. I guess I should have put a smiley face after my comment on the photo he posted so he knew my tongue was in my cheek! :) like that......is that better? Jeez....some people are just wound too tight... now where is my ignore list so this doesn't happen again.......

I wouldn't worry about it,
you don't need a thick skin to be here, ........but it helps!
besides I am the king of pissing people off,
(not sure why they assume I am being serious all the time):jocolor::smilebox::joker::king::dontknow::tongue2::supz::toothy2:

You know when you look up dodge demon on eBay and a '74 four door dart with an aluminum spoiler comes up? Cudamark's post made me feel like he was lumping me in with that crowd.

Now that I already over reacted I'm feeling like he could have easily just skimmed my post and been honestly trying to help me out. I already sent him a pm apologizing and Now I'm doing it here too.

Anybody can have a bad day.

-
Back