8.75 SNAFU

-
How did u get ur clearance? Certainly u didn’t use some kind of a spacer. Kim
No. No spacer. The C body axle retainers have too big a bearing hole. After removing the thrust block I measured 25 15/16" from the pinion shaft to flange. The axles were 26 3/16" snap ring to tip. I didn't want them to be tight against the pinion shaft so I cut 5/16" off each axle. I tried to show that in the next to last picture. I was aiming for 3/16" clearance when adding the 1/8" backing plate. I did take my time, used lots of water, didn't let them get hot and used a file to taper the ends. I put it all together on the table and made sure there was no bind. Now it's in the car with the spider webs. I'm Happy!
Thanks to all of you for your advice. This car needs everything, I'm sure to be asking more questions.
Happy New Year!!
Taylor

Why swap the 904 to 727, get a manual & build the 904. I swapped my 727 to a 904 in my 10 second bracket car & it holds up great, plus lighter weight & less reciprocating mass.

I know but, the 904 has no high gear or reverse and the 727 was a bargain at $75 with a fresh rebuild. This is a below budget build because I have no budget after rent in California. Just scrounging up what I can. From what I've seen online a 904 is worth less than a rebuild kit. I've killed three 904's in my life so I'll go with the 727 until I scrounge up a 4 speed. Soon I hope to pull the sickly 273 somebody swapped in there with the 360 build I have going.

-
Back