8.75 Sure Grip Question

-

Lee J

Reaction score
I recently installed a 8.75 sure grip in my 48 plymouth with 323 gears. I bought the third member used, a cone posi. I took it to a gear shop to have a visual check done. He used a little paint and thought everything looked ok with how the gears mated up. I had checked the lash and it was at .011 and spec is .006-.010. After I installed it there are two things. First the rear end howles a little between 35 to 40, not to concerned, even though I was very careful to get my angles correct. I think I have 5 degrees total. The other thing that I'm more concerned about is the amount of play it has rotation wise, from neural to in gear. I remember before I installed it I could rock it back and forth some I just wasn't sure how much was normal. The other thing I realized after it was installed was that there is a small crack from one of the holes for mounting the third member to the axle housing. I don't know if this was caused by sress from over tightening the nut or if this could have been caused from something else. I installed the gasket when installing the pumpkin and don't know if it's better just to use silicon . Maybe this would seal it up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Could you stop drill the crack, roughen it up and use jb weld?

is it leaking?

It has a real slow leak. The crack is only about 1/2" long. It runs from the hole to the outside edge of the housing. Jb weld might fix it, or possibly using silicone. The gear shop told me they havent used gaskets for years on rear ends just silicone. It is a real small leak, I just hate oil leaks!

I use the Ratech "reuseable" gaskets. They rock, though are not necessarily reuasable, at least not with synthetic fluid. They clean up lots quicker than silicone.

Steve

-
Back