8.75 Value?

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Trying to get a feeler here. What would my 8.75 be worth. Stock width, Yukon axles, with springs and mounts. All together or separate. The rear mounts are the roller bearing instead of the shackle type. No 3rd member. I don't know if I'd be better off keeping it or possibly upgrading and selling this setup.

They are not worth anything, but I'll pay the shipping just to help you get it out of your yard.:D

Sorry, I really don't know the answer.

Trying to get a feeler here. What would my 8.75 be worth. Stock width, Yukon axles, with springs and mounts. All together or separate. The rear mounts are the roller bearing instead of the shackle type. No 3rd member. I don't know if I'd be better off keeping it or possibly upgrading and selling this setup.

The 3rd member is the piece of gold better give it to tailbeast if you dont have the 3rd.

if its stock a- body length with brakes and axel's you could prob get 450 with the shock plates. its like all car parts.... they are only worth what someone is willing to pay

Complete ones are in the 1K range so subtract from that. If you want somebody to bite on it, put it in the for sale section.

I want to keep the existing 3rd member i have, but I do have an extra one. I have no idea If it will bolt on or how to identify what it is.

3rd member is a 3rd member, bolt pattern is the same...

Complete ones are in the 1K range so subtract from that. If you want somebody to bite on it, put it in the for sale section.
Really maybe I should just start buying them and selling them then.

I want to keep the existing 3rd member i have, but I do have an extra one. I have no idea If it will bolt on or how to identify what it is.

It will bolt in. Look at the last three numbers on the case. It should be 741, 742 or 489. Also if you look at the ring gear it should have the ratio stamped on it. Look at the center of it and if you see a large hole with gears showing it's an open diff. If it's more solid or you can see springs through a hole it's a suregrip.

How does one ship a rear end without springs? Do they fit on a standard pallet or is a larger one needed? I may need to ship one.

If you have the center section out, rotate the pinion and on the ring rear the gear ratio is engraved on the ring gear. On the housing itself (with you looking at it and pinion/yoke is to your left) you will see either 741,742, or 489.

Ok it's a 741 case, open differential but the gears are welded. I assume that's going to lock the differential? It spins fine. The gear is 2.91. I took the 3rd member when i bought the car because I thought I may use the gear for street driving but I've decided that I'm going to stay with the 3.70. Ok so that's what I have. As you can see I'm a noob at identifying parts!

Im gonna ship mine Greyhound bus when the time comes. Bare housing with Moser axles.

Ok it's a 741 case, open differential but the gears are welded.

Poor mans posi. Welding the gears makes it act as if it's a spool/posi unit. Both tires will spin.

If you were to sell the rear and center section together, probably in the 500 dollar range. A body 8 3/4 rears are getting scarce.

Im gonna ship mine Greyhound bus when the time comes. Bare housing with Moser axles.

I just looked on their site and they have a $300 max declaration and I'm sure your rear and axles are worth more than that. Is there a way around that or do you just chance it?

Just bought an A-body 8 3/4" rear on Wednesday for $350 w/Strange 28 spline, big-bolt axles and brakes...didn't want the 4.88 spool, got some money taken off for that

Ok it's a 741 case, open differential but the gears are welded. I assume that's going to lock the differential? It spins fine. The gear is 2.91. I took the 3rd member when i bought the car because I thought I may use the gear for street driving but I've decided that I'm going to stay with the 3.70. Ok so that's what I have. As you can see I'm a noob at identifying parts!

Oh you got a lincoln locker.

Just to provide some info on the subject.....

I purchased an 8.75 A-Body housing for $200. Then purchased BBP axles with green bearings installed from Dr Diff for $300. I used brakes from my BBP 7.25 rear and already had a 3.55 carrier.

-
Back