8.8 swap question ( I know, another one)

-

Moparvinson

Reaction score
most of the 8.8 swap info I see is for the explorer rear with disc brakes. I think this is more than I need since I am just building a weekend cruiser, mild 318, no drags and no auto cross so I don't really need 4 wheel discs. will a ranger rear with moved leaf spring perches fit right in? I think the 28 spline axles would be fine so a 92 and older looks like about 56 1/2" compared to the 7 1/4 at 57 1/8", is this right? any info would be a big help. Thanks.

most of the 8.8 swap info I see is for the explorer rear with disc brakes. I think this is more than I need since I am just building a weekend cruiser, mild 318, no drags and no auto cross so I don't really need 4 wheel discs. will a ranger rear with moved leaf spring perches fit right in? I think the 28 spline axles would be fine so a 92 and older looks like about 56 1/2" compared to the 7 1/4 at 57 1/8", is this right? any info would be a big help. Thanks.

I am also on a Rear-End expedition and I have read that the Ranger (drum Rears) is also an option for the A-Bodies, additionally this is what I have come up with so far:
- The ranger rear with a 4.0 & 5 speed truck have the better gearing and trac lok.
- The Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch axle used 28-spline shafts. The exception is the 2002 FX4 and 2003 & newer FX4 Level II models which had 31-spline shafts.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your findings.

I got one out of a older explorer it has drum brakes.

Plug N Play install??? with no axle tub cutting/swapping? well except for the spring perches having to be cut, moved, rewelded?

I am also on a Rear-End expedition and I have read that the Ranger (drum Rears) is also an option for the A-Bodies, additionally this is what I have come up with so far:
- The ranger rear with a 4.0 & 5 speed truck have the better gearing and trac lok.
- The Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch axle used 28-spline shafts. The exception is the 2002 FX4 and 2003 & newer FX4 Level II models which had 31-spline shafts.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Plug N Play install??? with no axle tub cutting/swapping? well except for the spring perches having to be cut, moved, rewelded?

They can be plug and play if you use a modern high backspace wheel.

We shortened our explorer axle just under 3".

I don't think it matters behind a 318, but the 28 spline axle has a smaller diameter axle tube then the 31 spline

I went to the pull apart yard today for some measurements, checked my 7 1/4, mounting flange to mounting flange was 57 1/8". found two 91 rangers, one was 3.55 trac loc, other was 3.73 trac loc, both measured 57". Either one will be $98.00 complete.

I went to the pull apart yard today for some measurements, checked my 7 1/4, mounting flange to mounting flange was 57 1/8". found two 91 rangers, one was 3.55 trac loc, other was 3.73 trac loc, both measured 57". Either one will be $98.00 complete.
I'd buy both!

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome- so no cutting - drop it in after a flush and fill of fluid. I would buy both also.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome- so no cutting - drop it in after a flush and fill of fluid. I would buy both also.
Not sure about that, mopar places the differential in the center, I thought these 8.8s were off set?

Not sure about that, mopar places the differential in the center, I thought these 8.8s were off set?
Most Explorer's are. That's why you shorten one side. Evidently these early Ranger/Explorer rears are centered.

-
Back