8.8 swap

-

Sully_PA

Reaction score
I know this could be sacrilege but.....

Will a 8.8 rear axle from a 1992 Ford Mustang 5.0 fit under my 76' Dart ? Will it hold up to the 383 and if so with what mod's ...Thanks

Never mind ...I see there 28 spline any way ....

Chrysler rear ends have the hog head in the center and equal length axles. Fords are offset, one axle and tube longer than the other. That's where the misfit begins.
Explorer rears with disc brakes are a more popular choice. I'm not sure why.
Search Explorer here should find more details.

First thing you need to understand is 8.8 ford rears were never installed in Chrysler a bodies from the factory.All things must be considered-brakes,width,center of driveshaft,length of shaft,shocks etc.Can it be accomplished? Sure,I have seen a jet engine in a Volkswagen!Before you jump out and buy an 8.8 research all the problems involved and how much money it took to overcome the problems.Understand that 8.8's are not indestructible.

The thing I don't like about 8.8 is axles are held in by C clips. This makes it easy to run disk brakes because no adjuster on axle. The bad thing is if you break axle it comes out as it held in by C clip at the end of axle.

There's a complete thread on here about cutting the long side of the Explorer 8.8 and replacing the long side with a short side axle and putting under an a-body. The advantage is the 8.8 is relatively cheap and lots of them. Then you have yoke issues, e-brake issues, driveshaft issues, etc. You will spend as much for fabrication and welding as you would finding a rear that will fit. I bought an 8.8 to put under mine and decided it was WAY too much trouble. There are a lot better and easier ways to go.

Just my opinion.

-
Back