8 bolt crank flange

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
I need help, I have a 3.51 stroke Mopar performance Crankshaft that has the 8 bolt flange. I have 2 flywheels a new billet steel and a Crane aluminium that both have the 6 bolt, and neither one of them will match up to this Crank. where can I go to find the correct flywheel for my application? I know this is a older crankshaft, but it is brand new, and would like to use. Let me know guys if anyone has one that wants to sell, or where I can find one.

Thanks for all info and comments,
T.J.

What was the crank originally for?

It's probably the same as the Hemi but the early V8's had 8 bolt flanges and I believe the bolt pattern is different than the Hemi so double check before buying and parts.

What was the crank originally for?

It's probably the same as the Hemi but the early V8's had 8 bolt flanges and I believe the bolt pattern is different than the Hemi so double check before buying and parts.

The Crank is for a 340, internally balanced, and it is an older Mopar Performance crank. This 8 bolt flange has an offset to it, Where the Hemi 8 bolt seems like it doesn't from the thread I followed to the one on E-Bay. I believe I found a mopar perf. flywheel thru Mancini, but it is steel and 30 + lb.s. I was hoping to find more options. If anyone knows other mfg. out there, let me know, Or if anyone has one for sale I am looking. I am posting pix of the Crank.

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

here is a brief discription of crysler style crankshaft flanges (scrolldown)
http://www.darkside.ca/clutch.asp

I havent finished the page but shows the different cranks

any company that makes performance clutches , hays, crower, ram, etc. makes the 8 bolt version , just tell them what you have for a crank, and need for ring gear ( chevy ring gears are often used on hemi/promods ... the chevy guys never give up)

Well somebody is wrong. Both my cranks have 7 holes, and a notch were the 8th one would be. Talked to Summit, they said 6. Had to return it, and the 8 bolt fit.

there is often an extra hole ... no threads to index the crank during grinding ...

I have seen many welded up and changed to 8 bolt, with one missing because the stock cranks had a big notch were the eighth one would go (that makes it 7), they do this to use the good racing clutches that only come for 8, and if you are making a stroker (welded up) from a stock forged crank what is a little more welding.. old school racers did lots of wierd stuff.. now you guys can get a new stroker crank , alum ported heads for peanuts compared to good ole days

stock factory cranks come with 6 drilled and taped holes..

8 bolt cranks are Mopar Performance cranks

Just sold a 3.58 stroke 340 main 4340 billet crank a couple of months ago and it had 8 bolts....had a b&m 8 bolt flexplate for it also.

a guy in arkansas bought it for a jr. fueler.

-
Back