8" converter on the highway ??

-
I will 100% guarantee you lenny at ultimate converter can build you a 8" that your grandma could daily drive. Converter technology has advanced so much in the last few years its mind boggling
I won't get into details but absolutely no recommendation for Lenny......my first converter was from him prior to the other 3 and it failed in 2 different ways and his warranty included me paying for the replacement parts to fix it.......not impressed and there are enough other great converter companies out there to avoid his company, or I should say his old company.

I won't get into details but absolutely no recommendation for Lenny......my first converter was from him prior to the other 3 and it failed in 2 different ways and his warranty included me paying for the replacement parts to fix it.......not impressed and there are enough other great converter companies out there to avoid his company, or I should say his old company.
That definitely sucks! I have only had good experiences with him, but who knows. I guess I should say the technology has advanced, so most quality converter builders should be able to put a 8" street friendly converter together...

Everything i have had in the last 25 years has had an 8 inch in it, and every car has been driven a lot.
My current car has been driven from the track to home(30 miles) with 28 tire and 4.30’s.
Years ago i drove my W5 deal 35 miles each way( 9 sec car) to the track. Was last points night of the year, had to win 2 rounds to make the team, went 4 rounds, drove it 35 miles back home( probably highlight of my career) because i missed a few points races because of work and still made the team.
Gotta remember the drag week guys drive 1000 miles plus and most of them likely have 8 inch verts. I am sure a lot definately do.
Its an old wives tale that you cant drive with them

Everything i have had in the last 25 years has had an 8 inch in it, and every car has been driven a lot.
My current car has been driven from the track to home(30 miles) with 28 tire and 4.30’s.
Years ago i drove my W5 deal 35 miles each way( 9 sec car) to the track. Was last points night of the year, had to win 2 rounds to make the team, went 4 rounds, drove it 35 miles back home( probably highlight of my career) because i missed a few points races because of work and still made the team.
Gotta remember the drag week guys drive 1000 miles plus and most of them likely have 8 inch verts. I am sure a lot definately do.
Its an old wives tale that you cant drive with them
Great info ! Thanks

I've been running a turbo action 4000 8in. Stall for about 3 years now. Drive it everywhere with no problems. 60 miles both ways to track race and drive home. Get the biggest cooler that will fit. I have 3.91s and 26in. Tires. 60 is about 3100rpm.

I've been running a turbo action 4000 8in. Stall for about 3 years now. Drive it everywhere with no problems. 60 miles both ways to track race and drive home. Get the biggest cooler that will fit. I have 3.91s and 26in. Tires. 60 is about 3100rpm.

Yep doing it. Old Turbo Action 4200. No problems.
Nice testimonies ! Thanks!

I believe you now have evidence enough to answer your question in the affirmative. lol

I’ve been running hi stall converters on the street forever. Tip don’t idle in gear I put it in Neutral at all traffic lights. Run the best cooler you can and put a schedule together that includes changing the trans. fluid.

Very happy with the ptc converters. It's not an 8" but my buddy has a 9.5 in a full weight dart, 3.23s and a 27" tall tire and drives like it's stock. Years ago that would have been impossible to do with that gear/tire.

I ran one for 8 years. 5500 tight , 456 gears, and a motor that would spin 8000 consistent and smooth if needed. I needed to spin the motor at least 5000 steady on highway to prevent converter slippage heat. My top speed with 29 inch rubber at 8500 was 160 mph. I could cruize at 75 mph but the noise was unbearable. The stereo with an amp could not be heard. close to Zero grams balance is a must. Stomping the throttle at 70 was like a kick in the ***. What a blast. The car weighed 3850. The new car build will be around 2600 lbs. and a lot taller tires 315 drag radials

I have mine in a 69 Cuda 28 inch tire 4.10 gears and it couples up very nice at 70-80 mph. Try to keep it steady and it stays there.

70-80 mph! You have an overdrive?
Nope. I usually follow my wife hard to keep up with her! lol but it I do it 4.10 gear with 28.5 tires. I can’t remember the rpm exactly but 3200 or 3400 sounds about right. You have to also remember back in the day with a 3.23 and 24 inch tires 70 mph was about 3200 and that’s what it was. A short stroke 340 with a bit of a cam loves rpm. This is why back then 100,000 miles your **** was wore out.

Nope. I usually follow my wife hard to keep up with her! lol but it I do it 4.10 gear with 28.5 tires. I can’t remember the rpm exactly but 3200 or 3400 sounds about right. You have to also remember back in the day with a 3.23 and 24 inch tires 70 mph was about 3200 and that’s what it was. A short stroke 340 with a bit of a cam loves rpm. This is why back then 100,000 miles your **** was wore out.
Still a 340? How do you make it survive now? Can you make engine live past 100,000?

Still a 340? How do you make it survive now? Can you make engine live past 100,000?
Yep still just a 340 no stroker. Best of 11.86 all steel 6 point bar and a Dana 60. Very heavy. I don’t know how many miles are on her but it’s at least 25 years old. All I do is lash the valves, change the oil and plugs. Just took her out for freeze plugs maybe I’ll look it over once.

-
Back