8'' milling vice recommendation

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend me a good solid 8'' milling machine vice that wont break the bank .

thanks.

Used Kurt if you can find one. The Taiwanese copies are usually pretty nice as well and usually cheaper. The Chinese stuff can be a crap shoot. I here the Orange vises are really nice, but spendy. It really depends on what you consider expensive. Local auctions can be a good place to find deals and you won't have to pay huge shipping charges.

Used Kurt if you can find one. The Taiwanese copies are usually pretty nice as well and usually cheaper. The Chinese stuff can be a crap shoot. I here the Orange vises are really nice, but spendy. It really depends on what you consider expensive. Local auctions can be a good place to find deals and you won't have to pay huge shipping charges.

i would think 5 to 6 hundred would be on the cheap side for a decent one ?

That should get you a pretty nice one. I see 6" Kurts for ~400 used in good shape on CL pretty regularly. I paid 180 for my 6" but it has some blemishes that don't affect accuracy. If you have time, you should be able to find something in your range. The 8" isn't common as the 6".

I personally have a love for the swivel base vise to machine angles easier.
I also like them with deep jaws for machining bigger shafts etc.
Also take a good look at the threaded rod and look to see how easily it is to cleanout the metal shavings/chips. I have a few that get bound up and its very difficult to clean.
Everyone seems to love the kurt brand right now.

-
Back