8 Track tape thingys

-
I remember some of them would stop in the middle of a song change channel and finish the song. That was a real bummer.

And there were only 4 "programs"/sections and you couldn't fast forward to a particular song in the middle of a section, you had to listen from the beginning of that section.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

When they got old/worn/over played, they would "warp" and sound distorted, or even worse the tape would stick to the head and it would get all tangled up and ruin your tape, so you had to buy a new one.... :finga: :twisted:

my dad has an 8 track in his garage hooked to a car battery ( that he charges from time to time) and an old set of 6x9s so he can listen to his Elvis 8 tracks

And if you were going on a date and wanted to get lucky, put in your "Best of Bread" tape.
It never really worked for me but I always thought it should. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
True nostalgic value.

Oh, the good ole days, blasting down the road in a classic Mopar with Black Sabbath blaring through the 6x9's in the back.
And along with burning stuff LOL
Nooooo! Never did that kind of stuff. I wasn't too smart about some of the things I did when younger. But I survived the 70's! LOL

I have these that came out of my High School Road Runner on display in my shop.

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 200
Still have 2 cases of them and gave Tony Fields one a couple of years ago.

The 74coupe deVille has a am/fm 8 track in dash

Cut the dash in my 1st Barracuda in 1974 to install a am/fm 8 track stereo, oh where those the days

Yeah the Beatles 8 track probably the one with some value but still not much

Only old people like me would want them and probably not a good idea to try and use them as they tend to wrap around the rollers and pull the tape out

Put one in the caddy and didn't think I would ever get it back out so I will not try that again. (Was probably 20 years ago)

So have you ever see a record player in a car? Was optional back in the 50's before tapes came along.

Nothing scary just old fashion. Music was done on round drums then scrolls before records.

Check out player piano if you have never seen one, really some cool old stuff.

since the resolution is horrible on this site now

Charlie Pride x3
Benny Goodman
Slave
Jackson 5 - ABC
Neil Sedaka
Doobie Brothers
Michael Jackson X2
Shaun Cassidy
Waylon Jennings
Pat Benatar
Foreigner
Goodtime Songtime ??
Kris Kristofferson

And the one I took apart that I cant get back together was Beatles 1967-1970

that's the list

Hah...you should have pried the Neil Sedaka apart, Beatles is best one of the bunch.

I'd love to find the Doobie Brothers on 8 track. They were a good band back in the day.

Yes they were.

Why is it every time I see your user name, I think of the Jackie Gleason Show?

Hey Noooorton. :D

I just missed the 8-track phase and went right to cassettes. But my brother ( who is 2 years older) was into them. I remember getting him a BTO 8-track for Christmas. So he wouldnt know what it was i stuck it in a box from a car model with a bunch of plastic scraps to rattle around when he got nosey. LOL

My 69 GTX has a factory in dash AM 8 track. I can't wait to get the car done i have a whole box of tapes from back in the day, including dark side of the moon.

Yes they were.

Why is it every time I see your user name, I think of the Jackie Gleason Show?

Hey Noooorton. :D

Actually, that's exactly where I got the name. I was dating my first wife and my then future father in law, loved watching the Honeymooners. Well I went to their house one night he was watching the Honeymooners, I started joking and bothering him and he yelled for f### sakes Norton sit down. Been known as Norton ever since.

Didn't that Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits come standard with every 8 track player! The Shaun Cassidy one was a hot player in my youth as well! I remember almost every tape in my parents travel box, including these hot platters....

Johnny Cash's Greatest Hits
Beach Boys, Wow, Great Concert
Jim Croce Greatest Hits
Floyd Cramer
The Archie's

Oh, the days of the 8 track tapes were great ones, only trumped by that Akai reel to reel!!! Geof

My high school graduation present back in '69 was having a Motorola 8-track player installed in my '66 A100.

Later on I put a Pioneer Supertuner FM/8-track with a Craig poweramp and 4 6X9s in my '74 B300, hot stuff at the time. I have a lot of good memories of cruising around delivering pizzas with the tape player cranked up playing Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Robin Trower, Hendrix, Doobies, J. Geils, Allman Bros, and on and on.

I believe that Bill Lear of Learjet fame is the inventor of the 8-track player.

I remember the matchbook trick too. Something else that helped sometimes was cocking the tape sideways to load or unload pressure on the drivewheel.

When i was 17 I got a 69' droptop dart that had an 8 track tape player (Kraco)
After owning it for about a week I found a Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell 8 track tape hidden under the seat
that the previous owner missed...
I used to listen to it when I was demonstrating
defensive/offensive Driving techniques in front of the High school...
I mastered the double 360 degree spin utilizing variously timed
steering/emergency/foot brake inputs ...had to be traveling at speeds
of at least 70 mph to pull it off (Good Times!!! Until the police showed up???)

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 143
-
Back