8" wheels what offset should work?

-

vtmopar

Reaction score
I am at the point of ordering wheels here is where I am at:
71' Dart springs are in the stock location I need to run a 8" wheel cannot decide on either a 4" or 4.5" offset wheel.
Would like to get this year out of not moving the springs in.
This winter I plan on going with a 4 link so I do not want to do this twice.
Is there a way to make a 8" wheel work now?
Thanks.

I have run 4.5" back spaced wheels on my dart sport with stock 8.75 rear on stock spring locations without tires rubbing (28/9 X 15 slicks), but they were very close to the springs. If you use 4" back spacing tire interference with the outer fender may become an issue?

Problem I have found when talking back spacing is you have to clarify with manufacture how they measure. I think most measure to tire bead but some measure to strait edge on back of wheels the difference is about 3/8" in most cases.

Back to your question I think both will work however if your Dart does not have the low fenders like my 68 I would go with a 4" back spacing for best fit. The 4.5" backspacing is really close to leaf springs and may require a spacer to keep the tire from rubbing depending on the tire size.

To run an 8" wheel you will most likely need to move the springs in with the offset shackle package. You will need to run an wheel with at least 4.5" backspacing. Anything less you will be into the outer fenderwells. Get one of those Percy Wheel Rite wheel measuring tools from Summitt of Jegs. $70 well spent or borrow one. Also if you converted to LPB with green bearings the axles will stick out a little more than with stock type bearings. I wanted to run 8" wheels on my 68 Dart but decided to stay with 15X7 with 4.5" backspacing with 255/60/15 Mickey Thompson drag radials. I have clearance from the springs and wheel lips.

To run an 8" wheel you will most likely need to move the springs in with the offset shackle package. You will need to run an wheel with at least 4.5" backspacing. Anything less you will be into the outer fenderwells. Get one of those Percy Wheel Rite wheel measuring tools from Summitt of Jegs. $70 well spent or borrow one. Also if you converted to LPB with green bearings the axles will stick out a little more than with stock type bearings. I wanted to run 8" wheels on my 68 Dart but decided to stay with 15X7 with 4.5" backspacing with 255/60/15 Mickey Thompson drag radials. I have clearance from the springs and wheel lips.

Not to hijack but can post some pics if the Dart you are speaking of. I am thinking of the same wheels/tires for my 69. Thanks!

You might get by with 4.5 bs and rolling the lips with a 275/60/15. Someone on here has done it.

-
Back