833 4 speed no 3 and 4

-

paul m

Reaction score
I installed a 833 4 speed. I've readjusted the linkage still no 3rd and 4th gear. Any ideas?

What shifter are you using, Inland or Hurst? How old is the shifter, maybe it's time to rebuild it. What shape is the trans in??

Could be the fork inside the trans. is broke

Been there done that, LOL

One Thurs or Fri down in (US Navy, Miramar) San diego, I broke the 3/4 fork in my 70 V code RR AT THE START of a 3 day weekend!!! So all damn (looooong) weekend, I was driving around in 2nd gear, LOL

I think I would start by putting the 1-2 lever In neutraI and disconnecting the
3-4 shift rod from the lever at the trans. See how well the 3-4 lever shifts without the shifter
If all is well install a 1/4" drill bit through the shifter box neutral alignment slot. Reinstall 3-4 shift rod onto lever adjusted to length so it slips right in without any resistance at all. Pull drill bit out and test. Besure rods are not binding somewhere that would keep the lever from clicking into the gear position. If all is still not well I'd open it up and have a look. It is almost always in the shifter linkage. But the fork like mentioned above could be causing your problem.

Hey" thanks for the immediate reply. Yep it's a hurst. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. I'm going to try shift it manually, then 1/4" drill method ....so far' sounds like the shift fork is the worst case scenario.

-
Back